Saturday, August 25, 2007

World's Greatest Wrap Dress, Almost


On July 3rd, I read about this dress pattern on the fantabulous blog A Dress A Day. Sadly, I can’t figure out how to attach a fancy link thingy that will take you directly to the post. However, A Dress A Day is in my links at right and you can search the archives to find that post and some pretty awesome photographic examples of this dress as well.

Apparently, because it was so easy to make, this dress was one of the most popular patterns ever released by Butterick. Well, I just had to have it! Original vintage copies of this pattern have been known to sell for upwards of $35 on ebay. Luckily, I was able to find a reproduction of the pattern for $5 including shipping.

From start to finish, it took a lot longer than I thought it would, but it really is so wonderfully easy to make. The fact that there are no facings or zippers or buttonholes is just so cool. It simply snaps together and the edges are finished with bias tape.

There are some fit issues that I wasn’t prepared for. If I make it again, and I almost certainly will, I may go down an entire size. It was pretty baggy when I finished. After I took up the shoulders, it was still pretty droopy. I suppose I could have taken in the waist a little more but it just seemed like too much trouble to take the whole dress apart. Also, the front panel tends to climb my legs when I walk but I’m hoping static spray will fix that.




Its so close to being the greatest dress pattern ever. I wish I could say that it looks better on me than on the dress form, but its just kinda saggy-baggy. Sigh.

So I don’t love it. But I think I could love it. Next time, if I can figure out how to make it fit right, I think we’ll have a winner. In the mean time, since the fabric is so comfy and soft and pretty, I’ll wear this one anyway. Its almost awesome.

1 comment:

  1. First you are awfully prolific. Second I LOVE your color sense. We'll have to start a competition and then maybe I'll sew more.

    ReplyDelete