Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Apron Jumper

Daiso Japanese Dollar Store has a rack of $3 aprons. All my current aprons are kind of ratty so I bought one. When I got it home, I took it out of the package and tried it on… and burst out laughing.

It was gigantically huge to the point that I couldn’t get it to stay on. I’d slip a strap over one shoulder and the one on the other side would slide off. With the back strap buttoned, even on the tightest buttonhole, I still looked like a I was wearing a giant gingham bell. I totally get the concept of one-size fits all, but come on!

So I decided to turn the giant apron into a cute little jumper/dress. First, I removed the rear closure strap and buttons. Then, I joined the back seam and added a zipper. The middle was still pretty boxy so I put some darts in the back. I moved the fastener buttons to the place where the front straps meet the bib, and adjusted the straps to make the bib ride a little higher.

Here it is (with a white cap sleeve blouse from H&M):



I love it. It fits well and looks super cute on, especially with a pompadour hairdo and white wedge shoes. Plus, I feel like such a smarty pants for figuring out how to make it work. I’m tempted to go back and get few more aprons in different colors.

A collection of three or four gingham jumpers would be perfect for Summer, if we ever actually got proper Summer weather in San Francisco.

No comments:

Post a Comment