My wedding was this past June. We had a tiki themed, very casual, daytime potluck pool party in our friend Frank’s backyard. We did the whole thing outdoors and there wasn’t a lot of space in the yard for tables and chairs. I was worried that there wouldn’t be enough seating when it came time to eat.
Discount Fabrics had some two-yard batik panels on sale for $1.99 each. Perfect tiki picnic blankets! I bought ten panels in four different prints. Anyone who couldn’t find a seat at a table could just spread a blanket out on the lawn and make a picnic there.
What does this have to do with sewing, you ask?
Well, I decided to make those picnic blankets into dresses after the wedding. I wish I had pictures of all the different panels so you could see what they looked like before I cut them up. If only I'd known that I was going to blog them!
I've made four dresses so far and I have two panels left. I'm still not sure what I'm going to make with the last two. They are printed with a diagonal stripe that has me baffled.
Below is my first attempt: Hippie Dress #1. I chose two matching panels in shades of brown, beige, and midnight blue, and this pattern (View C).
It went pretty well. I finally figured out how to properly do a gathered waistband!
Here is the result.
The bodice is a 36 and I didn’t take it in enough so it balloons under the arms, but just a little. Also, I made a belt as an afterthought and neglected to put any interfacing in it. Belts without interfacing go all woogly, and roll up, and look really sad. I guess I’ll have to take it apart and put in some facing. Sigh.
Oh well. Its incredibly hippie and 70’s but I rather like it. I wore it around all day on my birthday and it is wonderfully comfortable. There is some fabric left over and I think I might make one of those triangular peasant head-scarves to go with it.