Thursday, September 6, 2007

Hippie Dress #2 - The Tiki

Two more matching batik panels and this pattern View B (minus the sleeves):



I love it. I just love it. I don’t even think its all that hippie. It’s much less so than Hippie Dress #1. No, to me, this one looks like what the mysterious wife of the ambassador from some made-up exotic nation would wear in a British spy movie. It’s dead sexy and fits me like a glove. As usual, the shoulders had to be taken up a bit but that’s the only adjustment I had to make.



The rope belt, which I took from a different pattern, was difficult but totally worth it. I had to make it out of leftovers so it’s two-toned. That detail doesn’t really come across in the picture.

The bodice was cut so that selvages would meet at the zipper and I used sleeve facings from another pattern to make it sleeveless. It was super tricky figuring out how to get the star detail in the center of the bodice and how to match up the shoulder pattern in the front and back. I’m really pleased with how it came out.



Funny thing. MD rarely criticizes, but he really didn’t like this dress at all. Obviously, he’s kooky. It’s gorgeous!

1 comment:

  1. i am really surprised MD didn't like it. First off it is gorgeous. Secondly I KNOW that silhouette is very flattering on you.

    ReplyDelete