Friday, September 7, 2007

Hippie Dress #3 – The Dress So Nice I (Accidentally) Made It Twice.

I have pictures of the panels that I used for this one!



I started with this pattern (View 2) minus the collar. In my mind those big Pilgrim collars are just so 80’s. Making a 50’s pattern with a hippie fabric is already kind of a stretch. It’s probably best to keep the rest of the garment relatively simple.



I started by cutting the bodice out of the brown stripe at the top of the panel and the skirt from the purple end. Once the bodice was complete, I decided that it wouldn’t really work with a mostly purple skirt. There just wasn’t enough purple in the finished bodice and I thought that the designs would compete with each other.

Luckily I had four panels of this particular color set, and there were two left. I used the brown striped top of these panels to cut a new skirt using this pattern.



Here is what I ended up with. Sorry that its sideways. The computer and I aren't getting along today.



I'd show you the back but Blogger doesn't want to upload that picture, for some reason, and I don't feel like retaking it.

The waistband came out a little small so it rides up a smidge. But it looks okay and I rather like it on the whole. I wish that I’d thought to change the placement of the zipper. It stops mid-back, which would make sense if I had used the collar. I could have changed the zipper placement, I suppose, but I didn't think about it until the zipper was already in.

So its a good dress. A successful dress. What bothers me is it’s basically Hippie Dress #1 in a different color set. The whole point of the project was to make 5 DIFFERENT dresses. Meh. But I guess that’s what happens when you change plans mid-dress.

No comments:

Post a Comment