Friday, September 14, 2007

Hippie Dress #4 – Well, It Certainly Is Purple

Another dress made from picnic blankets! I used the purple ends of three of these panels.



I started with the skirt that I cut from this pattern for Hippie Dress #3.



I used the bodice from this playsuit pattern.



I was able to whip this dress together pretty quickly. Both patterns had good instructions and even the crazy pleats on the skirt were simple.

Easy-peasy! Except, I didn’t take in the (36b) bodice enough. It ended up too wide under the arms and too long in the waist. It was really important to me that the selvages act as trim on the bodice and skirt edging. It worked out find on the top but, because I didn’t take into account how much of the length was intended to be a hem, the skirt ended up super long.

A dress for a tall and busty girl! I am short and only a little busty. I really didn’t want to take it all apart and put it back together. So, I decided fix to it in the most haphazard way.

Without taking anything apart except for the facing at the side seam, I simply sewed in the side seams at a diagonal from the waistline to the top making a “dart” of about one inch on each side. I ironed down the excess and re-tacked the facing.

Shortening the skirt and keeping the selvage at the hem was a bit tricky. I folded then hem up about 12” and then folded it down 6” and stitched the fold. Then I cut off the extra fabric underneath.

Here is a front view of the finished dress.



And here it is from the back. Note the lovely self belt bow. This time I used facing that was too stiff, so its hard to get the bow to tie correctly.



I think it’s charming, if a bit purple. Its difficult to breathe deeply when its zipped up because I took it in a full inch on each side. But it fits so much better. Who needs to take deep full breaths? And maybe I should loose a little weight anyway. Sigh.

1 comment:

  1. Hi I'm reading your blog archives (because I'm bored and you're really entertaining!) and I *love* this dress. It's very purple, in the best way possible.
    http://scout-vintage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete