A new project, finally! I finished this one almost two weeks ago but I've been so darned busy with my new job that I haven't had a chance to post anything.
I used plain ol' cotton broadcloth that was on sale at the discount fabric store. I bought four yards of sky blue and four yards of grass green. I haven't decided what to do with the green yet. I just got a ton of patterns in the mail so I'm sure I'll be inspired in no-time.
For this dress, I used one of my favorite patterns again, McCalls 6566 view F (not shown) with a full skirt, scoop neck and short sleeve. I'd made a sleeveless, narrow skirted version before and it was wonderfully simple to make. The pattern was just as easy to use this time and is just as flattering. I'm learning that a fully gathered skirt doesn't really work on my body type. A full skirt with a flat front like this one looks much better.
I didn't have any major fit problems except for where the shoulder and sleeve meet. I used my "take up the shoulder to make the bodice fit better" trick, as usual. When taking up the shoulder in a sleeveless dress, it doesn't really make any difference, as far as the size of the arm hole. When you need to attach a sleeve later, however, it makes things a bit more interesting.
At first the sleeve was way, way, oh way too tight for my sausage-like upper arms. I let out the bottom seam of the sleeve a little and it works much better now. Unfortunately, the sleeve does tend to rub my skin under my arm. That will almost certainly make me sweat. Thank goodness for dress shields. Sweat stains are not a good look.