Friday, December 14, 2007

The Hateful Dress



Here it is. It looks all right in the picture but its really awful. You don't want to see the back, trust me. I used this pattern. I couldn't make it work at all.

There are so many things that went wrong. I could not for the life of me understand the instructions for the band. I had a horrible time putting the shoulders together. The hem is vile. This dress was a harsh reminder that I really have no idea what I'm doing.

The fabric is a delicate, lightweight poly knit. It is slippery and very hard to work with. Mistakes had to be picked out super carefully to avoid pulling or making a hole. The seam around the band bunched up like crazy when I tried to add the decorative top stitching.

I hate zippers anyway but this one nearly drove me over the edge. It took forever to get it lined up properly because the fabric kept slipping around and repositioning itself. I had to baste and rebaste it several times. After I machine stitched it, it turned out that I'd run the seam through the plastic teeth of the zipper. I had to carefully pick out all the tiny stitches so I could start again. While doing so, I stabbed myself under my cuticle with the entire point of the seam ripper. The damn dress is out for blood!

Hateful. Truly. It's no longer surprising that the lady on the pattern cover is flipping a bird.

No comments:

Post a Comment