Saturday, February 9, 2008

Fear v. Desire

Lately I've picked up a few really cool new patterns. Trouble is, I think they might be a bit beyond my ability. I want to make things other than the two basic shapes that I make over and over again, but the idea of moving away from my safety zone is daunting.

I have to remember that when I first started, even trying to make a straight seam was terrifying. My first project was a pencil skirt, and that took 14 hours of false starts, frustration and repeated seam ripping. Now, a pencil skirt is something I can whip up in a few hours before a party. Its all a matter of trial and error, learning as you go, and not freaking out when you make a stupid mistake. Deep breaths.

Here are two of the patterns I'm afraid of.



The draping is what worries me here, as well as the unusual construction. Despite my terror, today I cut
Butterick 6582 out of a nice plain green broadcloth. I will try putting it together later this week. If all goes well, I may be brave enough to try Butterick 3038. Here's hoping.

2 comments:

  1. Oh - I have that one on the left also!... but haven't made it yet. I did a Vintage Vogue with similar draping, and I'm not sure I like how it turned out. I used cheap fabric, though.

    ReplyDelete