Thursday, July 3, 2008

When life gives you leopard print...

Pants project! I used this pattern.



I'd used it once before, a long time ago, to make a pair or shorts, but I couldn’t remember anything about it. The instructions were easy-peasy to follow cos I skipped all the complicated stuff. I’m too chicken to try making a zipper placket just yet. Also, I believe that pants pockets are the enemy, unless you like extra bulk around your thighs, so I skipped those too.

After a super speedy assembly process the crotch, rise, waist and inseam were perfection. Sadly the hips had at least an inch and a half of extra room. Not sexy. Not at all. Unless you think clown-y jodhpurs are sexy. Now I remember this pattern!!

I used my favorite crap sewing alterations technique to make adjustments. Yep. I put the pants on inside out and pinned at the too big spots and then sewed along those pins. I had to do it THREE times to get rid of the puffy hips. Two hours later, I had some pretty weird side seams and pants that fit much better. I think there is something to be said for learning how to alter patterns before cutting them out.

I wanted an extra wide waistband so I ignored the pattern instructions and made my own. It came out okay. The first time I attached it, the band ended up too low on my hips. I made some adjustments and I like it much better now. The waistband sticks out a bit in the back, but I’ve decided to pretend I don’t notice.

I had to take about a million pictures to get one that was even remotely flattering. The busy-ness of the print sort of blurred the legs together unless I stood kind of sideways and stuck one leg out. Sadly, this is the best shot.



They are still a little clown-y, aren’t they? Well, I can always wear them as pajama bottoms, I suppose.

2 comments:

  1. I like them! They don't look like pjs at all. They remind me of the 60s - like maybe you could wear them to a beatnik poetry slam.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these!! seriously... but then again I am a sucker for leopard !!!

    ReplyDelete