Monday, August 25, 2008

Back With a (Not) Project

I'm now blogging from my teensy little laptop. I'm happy to be back, but I'm less than enthused about the tiny tiny laptop screen. I suppose I'll get used to it, but right now it seems ridiculously small.

I started this entry back just before the computers went kaput. I'm happy to finally get it posted. I have a backlog of unpublished projects going all the way to April! I am dying to start on a new dress, but I'm forcing myself to wait. I've declared a moritorium on new sewing projects until all the old projects are recorded here.

Yeah. It's killing me. there are a gazillion things I want to make!


So on to the (not) dress...



I love this pattern. I really do. I love it so much that I decided to plunge ahead and make a wearable muslin of it, even though its really too complex for my skill level.

I bought five yards of red cotton broadcloth, ironed it, and got ready to cut. It didn’t occur to me to open the package and check the pieces before I bought fabric. I really should have. I mean, a normal sewist would have checked the pieces FIRST, right?

One of the pieces was torn and the missing section was not included. No problem, I thought, I’ll just make a new piece to cover that section. It ended up not being so easy. I spent an awful lot of time with the ruler trying to measure/eyeball a new piece but it just wasn’t turning out quite right.



My husband suggested that we scan the tiny version of the pattern piece and then enlarge the top edge until it matched the current pattern piece. He’s a genius, you know. I was embarrassed that I hadn’t thought of that.

But it never happened. While waiting for him to fire up the scanner and help me (read: do it for me), I unfolded the other pattern pieces and decided that the multiple gores and complicated construction were just too hard. I don’t think that, at this point in my sewing career, I have the patience or the inclination to try something this advanced.

If I make the narrow version the princess seams are scary enough. There is all kinds of kooky draping, which I don't really understand. Plus, you have to complete the outside sections first and then add the center. Its enough to make me feel paralyzed with fear. If I make the wide skirted version, I could skip the princess seams but then there are about nine million pleats. Looook!



So I've decided that it's not worth destroying all that pretty red (cheap-ass) broadcloth. If I make a muslin of this it will be with actual muslin. But not today. Or for a while I think.

It’s a pity. I let my fear get the best of me. Someday I’ll be brave enough to try it out. Won’t I? I think I'll have to make a few more dresses that have similar construction elements before I'll be brave enough.

2 comments:

  1. You could eliminate the pleats and just gather it, if you want to make a simplified version...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep that pattern, that will be an awesome dress when you feel ready!

    ReplyDelete