Wednesday, January 28, 2009

My Current Obsession

…is jumpsuits. Really. I believe that jumpsuits are the future. Make them well and let them lead the way. Or something.

Last year on NYE I was getting ready to go to a party and split my dress. It was a beautiful pale blue 60s lace cocktail dress that my husband got me for Christmas. It split right up the back seam when I tried to zip it up. I have a lot of stuff in my closet but that night ALL of my nice cocktail party clothes were suddenly and unexpectedly too small. All that holiday eating had completely kicked (and increased) my fat ass.

It was horrible and sad and it made me really angry. Sooo… I did what any other spunky, and occasionally crazed, girl who was suddenly too fat for her all clothes would do. I put on my giant fluffy bunny suit and went out anyway. It made me feel a lot better.



This past New Years Eve, I wore my bunny suit again. It occurred to me, as I was swaying drunkenly on my barstool just after midnight, that perhaps bunny suits are the answer to all life’s clothing dilemmas. One zip and you're in. Fat or thin it hides all figure flaws.

But you can’t wear a bunny suit every day. It's too hot and fluffy. No. There has to be another way. Then it occured to me: What is a bunny suit if not a jumpsuit made cuddly? Jumpsuits are the answer.

Way back in 1959, designer and writer Anne Fogarty was extolling the wonders of the jumpsuit as casual wear in her book "Wife Dressing". In the early 60s designer Pauline Trigere introduced jumpsuits as a wardrobe staple. Therefore, the jumpsuit fits nicely into my late-50s early-60s fashion obsession. Besides, if you’ve ever watched the Cathy Gale/Emma Peel years of the Avengers, you know how awesome a jumpsuit can be. I am inspired.

Of course, I don’t have a 16 inch waist like Mrs. Fogarty. I’m not even 1% as hot as Honor Blackman or Diana Rigg and, I think, I’m probably 10 (20?) years older than any of them were in their jumpsuit days. Nonetheless. I am in love with the jumpsuit.

Besides, if Sew Ducky can make and wear skants without shame, the field of extraordinary clothing choices is now wide open. (I love the skants, by the way, Miss Ducky. Really, truly.)

Here are three patterns I picked up recently. They will be made. And worn.





9 comments:

  1. ROFL! They get mixed reactions out in public too. Wear what you like, you're the one that had to enjoy it!

    (And yes, I am going to make a more formal skant, not to mention all the teenagers want a pair!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel ya on the jumpsuits, I adore them too!

    I'm still waiting for Rob to make me a bunny suit...

    ReplyDelete
  3. The bunny costume pic is wonderful! Far better than a cocktail dress any day.
    My only complaint about the jumpsuit is... um... going to the potty requires a whole lot more undressing than I like to engage in... multiple times a day...
    Ok, sorry maybe that was tmi!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Crap! Moxie: I hadn't actually thought of that, but now that you mention it, I do dread public restrooms + bunny suit. Im sure I'll feel the same dread in a jumpsuit. I will have to be very careful, I guess.

    Jen - You get to see the jumpsuits in action if you are going to the Vegas rally. It's all I'm packing.

    Ducky - I can't wait to see the formal skants! Awesomeness!

    ReplyDelete
  5. HA HA!!
    Jumpsuits are no good on tall people with long torsos :( they look dumb, but a bunny suit would be better!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh - so that's why you wore the bunny costume on NYE. Fun! I used to want a jumpsuit to be like all the Japanese rock stars (aka J-rockers). I found one on this website
    http://www.metamorphose.gr.jp/onlineshop_eng/sale/108103020079.php?ssid=132e211810911745726

    But making one would be more fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Monica: I'm short with a long torso, so I'm not sure how well they are going to work on me either. But its fun to try new stuff!

    Crystal: You should totally make one of those j-rocker style jumpsuits! So cute!! Join the jumpsuit revolution! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't think I am tall enough to pull off a jumpsuit, but a bunny suit really does sound like a wardrobe stable now. Yes indeed. *adds item number 987456 to Sewing To Do list: Bunny Suit*

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't think I am tall enough to pull off a jumpsuit, but a bunny suit really does sound like a wardrobe stable now. Yes indeed. *adds item number 987456 to Sewing To Do list: Bunny Suit*

    ReplyDelete