Monday, January 19, 2009

Two Tone Red & Leopard Jumper

Look! I sewed!

I STILL had this big chunk of leopard baby-wale corduroy leftover from the five yards (or was it six?) I got from fabric.com. I’ve managed to get two dresses, a skirt and a pair of (dubious) trousers out of it, so I should be satisfied. But, I hate leftovers.

I could shove the leftover bits in the bottom of the stash box and use a bit here and a bit there for trim, like on the sleeves and collar of a coat, maybe. But, it’s much more fun and challenging to try and use it all up.

I wanted to make a shorts jumper by combining these two patterns.




There was enough for the pinafore and straps, but there wasn’t quite enough to cut out shorts. Unfortunately, by the time I figured out that shorts weren't going to happen I’d already cut out the bib and straps. Ugh!

For a split second I thought about making a mini-skirt jumper but I think I might be teensy bit too old to be rockin’ a mini. Luckily, I had several yards of red broadcloth lying around from this project that didn’t happen. So, a two toned red and leopard jumper was the answer.

I changed the line of the bib somewhat, but I’m not sure it was the best idea ever. I realize now that the previous “two pointed” bib will lie flat under the boobage while this new one will likely fold over and look funny after a little wear. I hope not, but since the bib doesn't have much stiffening inside, it might go that way.



I was worried about the red broadcloth and leopard corduroy not really working together as they are both kind of intense. In order to pull it all together, I decided to use the appliqués that came with the pattern. I have to admit that the poodles were enticing, due to the extreme kitch factor. But I don’t really want the finished item to look like a costume.

I went with the hearts. I cut out three sizes in leopard and three sizes (just slightly smaller) in red. Without any real idea of how to attach them and keep them from fraying, I ironed some fusible interfacing onto the back of the fabric before I cut them out. Hopefully, this will prevent the edges from raveling.

To attach them to the skirt, I first sewed around the appliqué about 1/4 inch from the edge. Then, using the button hole stitch on my machine I sewed over the raw edge. The button hole stitch is wide enough that it looks like machine embroidery, which I suppose it is, really. Hopefully it’ll keep the appliqué on tight and prevent raveling.



Because I’ve used this jumper pattern so many times before, it went together quick & easy. (Despite the horrific zipper, as usual) I do think that the color choices are rather bold and I hope that I’m brave enough to wear it. Here’s the finished product.

10 comments:

  1. very nice. you make me want to sew before I have to start classes again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are gorgeous in this! Just in time for Valentine's day, too. Is that the cake plate thing we got you for your wedding (in the photo)? xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Kate! Yep, that is the "display case for food" that you gave us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love it! i agree that it's perfect for v-day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this! And, I might add, I love it! Oooooh, this gives me ideas. Which is bad, because I have clients who are waiting on me, and they are NOT waiting for me to start another sewing project. Hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this. And you did the applique 100% right. The only other thing you can do is sew the applique to interfacing, right sides together, slit the interfacing and pull the fabric though, then use your buttonhole stitch to sew together. does this mean your guest room is now a sewing room again?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks TeeBee! Glad to hear I did the applique the right way! Unfortunately my sis still has a semester to go so the sewing room is still un-usable during the week. I've been sewing like a madwoman on the weekends though. I'll have something new to post here soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like the way this one turned out!

    ReplyDelete