Look! I sewed!
I STILL had this big chunk of leopard baby-wale corduroy leftover from the five yards (or was it six?) I got from fabric.com. I’ve managed to get two dresses, a skirt and a pair of (dubious) trousers out of it, so I should be satisfied. But, I hate leftovers.
I could shove the leftover bits in the bottom of the stash box and use a bit here and a bit there for trim, like on the sleeves and collar of a coat, maybe. But, it’s much more fun and challenging to try and use it all up.
I wanted to make a shorts jumper by combining these two patterns.
There was enough for the pinafore and straps, but there wasn’t quite enough to cut out shorts. Unfortunately, by the time I figured out that shorts weren't going to happen I’d already cut out the bib and straps. Ugh!
For a split second I thought about making a mini-skirt jumper but I think I might be teensy bit too old to be rockin’ a mini. Luckily, I had several yards of red broadcloth lying around from this project that didn’t happen. So, a two toned red and leopard jumper was the answer.
I changed the line of the bib somewhat, but I’m not sure it was the best idea ever. I realize now that the previous “two pointed” bib will lie flat under the boobage while this new one will likely fold over and look funny after a little wear. I hope not, but since the bib doesn't have much stiffening inside, it might go that way.
I was worried about the red broadcloth and leopard corduroy not really working together as they are both kind of intense. In order to pull it all together, I decided to use the appliqués that came with the pattern. I have to admit that the poodles were enticing, due to the extreme kitch factor. But I don’t really want the finished item to look like a costume.
I went with the hearts. I cut out three sizes in leopard and three sizes (just slightly smaller) in red. Without any real idea of how to attach them and keep them from fraying, I ironed some fusible interfacing onto the back of the fabric before I cut them out. Hopefully, this will prevent the edges from raveling.
To attach them to the skirt, I first sewed around the appliqué about 1/4 inch from the edge. Then, using the button hole stitch on my machine I sewed over the raw edge. The button hole stitch is wide enough that it looks like machine embroidery, which I suppose it is, really. Hopefully it’ll keep the appliqué on tight and prevent raveling.
Because I’ve used this jumper pattern so many times before, it went together quick & easy. (Despite the horrific zipper, as usual) I do think that the color choices are rather bold and I hope that I’m brave enough to wear it. Here’s the finished product.