Saturday, March 7, 2009

Funky Disco Angel



I decided to make this pattern in white. I was hoping that it would come out all “Rich Hippie at Cannes.” It didn’t occur to me that I’d look more like a freaky choir girl/funky disco angel. I also conveniently forgot that white is NOT slimming. I didn’t think about the fact that white really needs a lining either.

Issues, man.

I laid it out to cut and thought, “Wow. That fabric’s kind of thin.” Then I convinced myself that I wear t-shirts all the time that are that thin and that with flesh colored spanx or a nude bodysuit underneath it would be fine. I am way too lazy to figure out how to line a jumpsuit.

The sleeves were baffling. It took me a really long time to figure out the instructions. I don’t do well with written instructions anyway, but the pictures didn’t help that much. I knew I was missing some important point. But what?

Turns out, I was looking at the instructions for both Version A and Version B. THAT’S what. Once I realized that, it was easy. I can add raglan sleeves to my list of “sewing techniques I have successfully attempted.”

The collar stumped me because I knew I didn’t want the zipper to go all the way up to the top and I wanted the collar itself to be a little shorter. My neck looks better in a mock-neck than a turtle. I stitched the zipper so that it stopped right at the neckline and I used the collar technique from Simplicity 3399.

It was a disaster. The pattern piece says to stretch the edge when you sew it in, but I ignored this because I used a non-stretchy iron on facing. The piece wasn’t quite long enough without stretching and just would not fit. I thought I could make it work but, no. By the time I realized it was a lost cause, I’d already trimmed the inner seam allowance. The only thing I could do at this point was fold the collar in and make it the neck facing.

Funny thing, I really love the way it came out. It’s a space-age bateau-neck and I think it’s great!

The fabric is just as thin as I was afraid it was going to be. Thankfully, spanx/matching underwear combo really does keep it from being completely see-through. I'll have to trim the seam allowances so that the thin-ness is a little less obvious. I have big white stripes down my back and sides where the fabric overlaps.

Here's the completed suit.



I guess, with these curves, I’ll never look like a rich hippie at Cannes…I’m definitely more of a funky disco angel. But I think its okay. This suit really makes a statement. It says, “HEY! I’m WEARING a WHITE JUMPSUIT!” I’m okay with that.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks Sewuptight and Miss Ducky! I will be wearing it in Vegas this weekend. Because if you can't wear a white jumpsuit in Vegas, well, where can you?

    ReplyDelete