Thursday, May 21, 2009

New Black Skirt

I needed a new black skirt for Viva Las Vegas, so I decided to try out this pattern. I bought it to replace an early 50s pattern that I love but is too small. (More on that here.) I used View C.



Damn, this was easy to put together. Two pattern pieces, the skirt and band, no darts. Shabam! Done!

I didn't care for the cutting diagram. The diagram suggested cutting out each piece on an open length of fabric. Instead, I folded the fabric and cut once. It didn't seem to make any difference.

My only problem was that, as usual with a more modern pattern, there was entirely too much ease. Stitching at the seam lines, I ended up with a garment that was waaaay too big. I did my usual "increase the seam allowance" trick, taking it in about .5 an inch at a time. After three rounds or so, the fit was a lot better, but still a big big in the waist. Someday, I'm going to have the patience to figure this stuff out BEFORE I cut.

Maybe.

I attached the waistband incorrectly. I started right sides together and then folded it inward instead of vice-versa. It worked SO much better, though. I did that "stitch in the ditch" thing on the right side and, for once, I was able to catch the opposite side in the stitches all the way across. This was a vast improvement and the way I will be attaching waistbands from now on, no matter what the instructions say.

I hate hemming. Even though the blind hem foot makes it pretty easy, sometimes I don't have the energy to fold and press. (If you've ever read this blog before, you know am exceptionally lazy.) I used the rolled hem foot this time, and I think its okay. It makes the bottom a bit flippedy-floopy, but I don't mind.

I think this skirt came out really well. I may shorten the hemline (and hem it properly) at some point but for right now, I'm really happy with it.

Here it is, styled as it was worn at Viva. I do wish I had a picture of it from Viva. It would be a lot more exciting than my kitchen, but I am not much of a picture taker when I'm on vacation.

2 comments:

  1. Nice skirt!

    I got to the point with my "retro" sewing that I just want it to look good without it being a particular era, and that it not look like it screams "costume". As to the 80s being retro, it doesn't really matter if you have a beautiful garment.

    Sort of a 2 comments in one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ducky! I'm a total weirdo and I'm happier if my outfit looks a little costumey. I know that's the big "fashion no-no" if you pay attention to shows like What Not to Wear, but I've always been that way. Lordy, you should have seen how I dressed as a kid. Every outfit had a "theme". No wonder I got picked on. :) I've toned it down a LOT as I've gotten older.

    ReplyDelete