Friday, June 26, 2009

Everything Old Is New Again

More new patterns!

This time from Selmalee's Vintage on eBay. (She's got an etsy store too.) These are from the 60s and 70s but I see earlier eras in them, for sure.

* * *



The 60s shift dress is not my best look, I know. I am a short and chunky hourglass so I need things to FIT. That said, I think Simplicity 6004 might be a good potential Gatsby dress. If it was longer and made of silk or jersey, maybe? Imagine it with a little cloche hat and t-strap shoes... It might be just 20s enough.

* * *



Simplicity 5803, I think, has a late 30s/early 40s look. View 1 would make a nice bodice for a 30's style shirtwaist dress if I frankensteined with the long version of my TAT pencil skirt pattern. Its those gorgeous flutter sleeves that make me think '30s. They are murder! Murder, I say!

View 2 will replace a beloved blouse I bought years ago at H&M specifically for its vintage styling. Finding a similar pattern beats the heck out of trying to take it apart and copy it! This pattern would be better if it had a collar but I think its close enough to work as a replacement. I wonder how hard it is to make/install a shirt collar...?

* * *



Simplicity 5112 also looks 30s/40s to me. I think it could easily work as part of a lounge set. I'd make it in a tropical print with either shorts or a slim wrap skirt to match. Or, it would be cute in shiny creme or navy satin paired with matching wide legged trousers, or in crisp white cotton with red or blue sailor pants.

* * *

Its so fun to imagine what one could do with newly purchased patterns. I think at this point I could sew for a zillion years and still not use every pattern in my stash. Even so, I love to fantasize about what to do with the new ones. The fantasizing is as much fun as the sewing, especially when you can see so many past style influences in each relatively modern piece.

3 comments:

  1. LOL never throw anything away either, they come back into style.

    As to adding a collar, I'd find one with a similar neckline and add it from that, frankenpatterning it for my needs. Which I have done several times for looks I want, which beats the heck out of drafting it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are fabulous....again! Perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ducky: I was wondering if it was possible to frankenpattern on a collar. I'll try that. THANKS!

    Susan: Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete