I have had quite a few weddings to go to this year. This outfit was made for a wedding in Santa Barbara. I used this fabric
and this pattern
This pattern was SO easy that it almost made itself. I just love the way it came out. I'm a little at a loss for what to say about it, it was just so easy! For those who appreciate details, I’ll use the pattern review template…
Pattern Description: From the envelope: Juniors' and Misses' one-piece dress with two skirts and reversible jacket - Sleeveless dress has lowered neckline, slightly extended shoulders and back zipper closing. V. 1 features a slim skirt with soft pleats at front waistline, back kick pleat and self tie belt. V. 2 has full gathered skirt with a soft pleat on each side of front. Reversible jacket V. 1 has kimono sleeves and flap trim.
Pattern Sizing: Size 14 (34/26/36) My measurements, these days, are closer to 34/29/38 but, since patterns of this era seem to have exactly the right amount of ease, this fit me perfectly without major alterations. I altered nothing in the dress and only made a few simple changes to the jacket.
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes!
Were the instructions easy to follow? To be honest, I didn’t do much more than glance at the instructions. I’m already pretty familiar with all of the techniques needed for this dress so I just sort of slapped it together in the way that seemed to make the most sense.
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? Super duper easy construction, great fit, looks like the pattern envelope.
Fabric Used: I used tutti-frutti seersucker from Joanne’s. I didn’t check the fabric content but the lady at the cutting counter said it was polyester. It must have some cotton in it somewhere. It feels and behaves just like a light cotton: slightly stiff but light, soft and only a little stretchy. It didn’t like being ironed all that much, the puckers fade right out of it. I don’t know if all seersucker does that or not..? Reducing the heat of the iron by about half made a huge difference.
Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made: No alterations or changes made to the dress. I didn’t include any of the jacket facings, nor did I bother top-stitching the edges of the jacket. It doesn’t seem to have made any difference. Additionally, I increased the seam allowances on the lower jacket edges to a full inch in order to make it a little smaller/shorter. I reduced the underarm seam allowance to one quarter inch in order to give myself a little more room in the armpit. I know that’s not how you are really supposed to do alterations, but it works for me.
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? ABSOFREAKINLUTLEY. I think this would be a great first dress/jacket for someone who is just learning to sew. It incorporates a lot of the basic techniques that you need to know, but there are minimal pattern pieces and it goes together quickly.
Love love love it. I adore how floaty the skirt is. All those gathers make it really puffy (in a good way) in back and adding a crinoline made the bell shape really stand out. I’m a short hourglass at the outer edge of my ideal weight so sometimes gathered skirts make me look a zillion times bigger than I am. This one didn’t make me look enormous. I think this was due to the flat panel in front. I was worried that the jacket would be too boxy for my figure but it is slim and short enough to allow my shape to show through.