Thursday, November 19, 2009

Home Dec III (Part One)

Inspired by our success at the first two home décor attempts, I decided to (finally) do something about the kitchen windows.

In our kitchen we have a breakfast nook (that’s where I usually take pictures of my dresses)and an area for cooking. I chose to do each area a little differently based on the color schemes already present. I’m going to present each area in a separate blog entry as they are going to be rather picture heavy.

Let’s start with the cooking area!

Here is a before picture of the kitchen window in the cooking area. Yes, those are curtain hangers you see at the edges of the window frame. As usual, my before pictures weren't taken until AFTER I was done. Disorganized? Yes! I was halfway done putting up the curtains before I realized that I’d forgotten to take a before picture!



We already had a vague red and blue theme going in this area.

Mod Wall Clock


Rug In Front of Sink (This is actually a table runner from Ikea, but it makes a nice rug.)


Hand Towels


Kitchen Stool


Our house was originally built in 1925, and (despite a recent remodel by the owners) the kitchen still has the original layout and built-in cupboards. I wanted a fabric that would be appropriate for that era (20s/30s) or at least somewhat vintage looking. I found this great red and blue print on fabric.com. It’s based on turn of the (last) century textiles from Portugal.



I decided on decorative valances instead of curtains. The windows, which look out on a shared laundry area, are frosted and I wanted to keep as much light as possible!

The valances were beyond simple. I simply measured off nine inch wide strips (from selvage to selvage) and used the rolled hem foot to finish the ends. I didn’t bother finishing the selvages edges, which are white. I figured they would hang more nicely un-finished and the edges would just blend into the white paint around the windows. Then I just stitched a casing for the curtain rods and voila! Done!



It's hard to tell from this photo, but the valances are definitely a little crooked. I need to convince myself to un-pick the casings and re-measure the widths, but I’m really resistant to un-picking things. The really funny thing, is that they are both crooked on the same end. I’m wondering if I can just pass this off as an optical illusion?

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute Gaby! I'm loving your kitchen - we have the same red stool in ours! The fabric for the valences is way cute. Do you have a cutting mat and rotary cutters yet? They are perfect to make these types of home decorating project cuts - you can use a yardstick for a straight edge, line the fabric up on the printed squares of the mat, and zip - you have a straight cut! (I can't tell from the picture that it isn't straight, by the way)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute Gaby! I'm loving your kitchen - we have the same red stool in ours! The fabric for the valences is way cute. Do you have a cutting mat and rotary cutters yet? They are perfect to make these types of home decorating project cuts - you can use a yardstick for a straight edge, line the fabric up on the printed squares of the mat, and zip - you have a straight cut! (I can't tell from the picture that it isn't straight, by the way)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute Gaby! I'm loving your kitchen - we have the same red stool in ours! The fabric for the valences is way cute. Do you have a cutting mat and rotary cutters yet? They are perfect to make these types of home decorating project cuts - you can use a yardstick for a straight edge, line the fabric up on the printed squares of the mat, and zip - you have a straight cut! (I can't tell from the picture that it isn't straight, by the way)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Tiff! I have both of those tools and I thought everything was straight...but I guess not. Hubs says that I'm the only one who would notice the crookeness, but they are definitely crooked. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete