Thursday, November 5, 2009

In Which I Am Made Redundant

My company was recently purchased and is going through a reduction in force. Unfortunately, I was one of the unlucky few who's force was reduced. I am unemployed. Gasp!

This all happened just over a week ago and I have been trying to get used to the idea of having to job hunt again. I am the worst job-hunter ever. Despite the fact that I am really good at what I do, I don't look all that great on paper and I always choke in interviews. Luckily, I should be able to collect unemployment benefits until I can find a new situation.

Until that kicks in I will be penniless. When it does kick in, I will be stone cold broke. In the mean-time, I've been trying to keep busy by cleaning my house, going to the gym, and sending out resumes.

...and sewing. Despite my lack of funds, I intend to continue sewing as much as possible. However, I will have to go on something of a sewing diet. My diet plan is as follows:

1. If I need fabric for a new project, I can only shop my stash. I can’t buy any new fabric unless it is to be used as a lining or a petticoat (or other essential accessory) for a garment I am actually in the process of either making or altering. I may not purchase any fabric to be used for a future project, no matter how pretty or inexpensive it is.

2. No new patterns unless it is such a totally insane deal that I will drop dead if I don’t buy them. For example, if I find a full box of uncut 40s/50s patterns at the flea market/thrift store in my size for $2 each, I'm going to buy them. I won't feel guilty and I will just economize somewhere else. ...and I will post them here, natch.

3. I am no longer allowed to buy accessories to go with a project I am working on. I must make do with the shoes, belts, jewelry, hair clips/flowers, that I already possess. This means no e-bay or etsy, no thrift stores, and certainly no traditional retail stores.

4. I am allowed to buy notions only if they are necessary to complete a project I am currently working on. I am not allowed to buy notions just because they are on sale or because I might need them at some point in the future.

Luckily, right before I was laid off, I got a big box of fabric in the mail from fabric.com. I purchased a bunch of navy twill and beige cotton khaki so I could beef up my work wardrobe. Looks like I'll be beefing up my job-hunting wardrobe instead. Le sigh.

I have three or four completed projects that I haven't posted here yet so there will still be regular posts for the next month or so. After that, I will post only when I have a completed project, or something to rattle on about.

Wish me luck!

9 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about your unemployment :(
    Those sound like pretty good rules to me, and I think you probaby have a big enough stash these days that you can still make a bunch of cute stuff...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww Gabriella. I am sorry to hear about your redundancy. It's good that you'll be focusing on your sewing. Who knows, you may come across the right job when you're out and about in one of your fabulous outfits. You can borrow some of my vintage patterns if you'd like. I'll post some tomorrow.
    Stay blessed,
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, jeeze, sorry to hear about work. Glad you're planning on making productive use of your time, though :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gabriella,

    I'm so sorry to hear your news. I'm sending you good vibes that this will turn out to be a good thing. Linda P.S. Your posts on my site were hilarious....

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry Gab. Kristing has been looking for work for months now. It's tough out there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everyone: Thank you for your kindness! I really appreciate your thoughts. It still feels really weird that I can't just get up in the morning and go to work. I miss my desk and my work peeps something fierce.

    @ Tiffany: Thanks for your faith in me and, yes, my stash is kind of overflowing... :)

    @ RiAnge: You are so sweet and kind and generous. Giant hugs to you!

    @ Jen: Thanks sweetie. If things don't turn around soon, I might pop down to San Diego for a visit. I'll keep you posted.

    @ Linda: I am such a total dork. I'm glad that you have such a great sense of humor. :)

    @ Maria: Kristine too? Ugh. I have several friends who are unemployed too and everyone is having a really tough time. I hope that things turn around for all of us soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. you can shop my stash. you know it is obscene

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd love it if you made it down for a visit! A road trip was the first thing I planned when it looked like I was going to get laid off earlier this year.

    I'm glad as heck I dodged that bullet, but I was kinda bummed about not getting to take a road trip, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Os, so sad to hear that, unemployment is big around the world.
    I really hope you find a job soon.
    Perhaps you can employ your self, I mean, just an idea, why don't u sew for other people? there are lot of people who would like to have some cool vintage dresses and they don't find them in their size, perhaps you can do it for them...donno, just an idea.

    ReplyDelete