Thursday, December 10, 2009
Not Quite Instant Skirt
I decided to whip this one up with some black cotton faille from the stash.
Faille was an interesting fabric to work with. Its thick, heavy and stiff. It looks a little like taffeta minus the shine. It didn't really want to be ironed and, as usual, my iron was too hot, so there are a few iron marks here and there. Also, I created a lot of shine across the darts by over-pressing. I really liked working with it, though, and the finished garment is far sturdier than a pencil skirt made with a lighter cotton.
The pattern itself should have been easy to use and it was, sort of. It's very close to my actual measurements (I'm a little bigger) and there were only a few darts and a back-seam/pleat to deal with. Unfortunately, it seems like the simplest things are always the ones that give me the most trouble.
There was way too much wearing ease. It would have been several inches to big if I had put in the back seam where the pattern suggested. The instructions for the kick-pleat in the back didn't make sense to me so I ended up simply trimming the excess off the back until it fit.
The darts were a wreck too; they made giant puffs of fabric on either side of my hips. I extended the darts and that took care of most of the puffiness. I made a very narrow waistband instead of using the one that came with the pattern. When I stitched the waist band on, I accidentally messed up the direction of the pressed darts. It's not too obvious, but it bugs me.
Luckily, black hides a lot of sins.
I will probably have to add a slit up the back, as the skirt bottom is a bit narrow for walking in.