Thursday, January 14, 2010

Mmmmm Yellow

I bought four yards of this fabric, intending to make a shirtwaist out of it. I forgot about it in the stash for a long time. It's much sunnier yellow than it appears here.



I made the bolero from Simplicity 1657 way back in May and never got around to putting it away. While cleaning up the sewing room I found it again decided that it was the right pattern for this yellow fabric.



This dress was super easy to put together. I was worried that the instructions for the pleating would be difficult to understand, but it wasn't hard at all. I transferred all the pattern markings to the fabric (I don't always) and it really helped a lot.

I got a little confused while putting together the bodice. The front part of the bodice isn't faced (the fabric is just folded over and ironed flat) and I was sure that it would look strange or flip up. It doesn't. Turns out that not facing the front neckline allows the fabric to drape. Who knew?!

The only thing that gave me real trouble was the width of the neck. It was really wide and the sleeves kept slipping off my shoulders. I had already sewn in (and top stitched) the sleeve facings when I realized that it was going to be a problem. I had to invent a quick fix in order to avoid having to unpick the sleeve. I put my crappy alteration techniques to work and sewed a steep triangle along the shoulder line towards the neck.



It worked perfectly, even if the shoulder is a little thick. It's like there is a tiny shoulder pad on the inside, but I don't plan to trim the excess. It doesn't slide off my shoulders now at all, and I think the slight padding looks good.





It doesn't pull or twist in the back, I swear! It's just my weird pose that is making the fabric twist. Its hard to get a good back view shot. I never know what to do with my arms.

C'mon spring! I'm looking forward to a warm day when I can wear this dress.

Oh, one more thing: I have an interview tomorrow morning so wish me luck!!

6 comments:

  1. So cute and I love the matching shoes! Good luck on the interview!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job with the last minute fix on the shoulders! The dress looks fabulous, and I'm in love with the color! Looks like you are craving the sun as much as I am ;)
    Best of luck with the job interview! So much more fun to stay at home and sew, but then again - no money for fabric. It's a conundrum.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linda and Moxie: Thanks for your props and best wishes. I think my interview went pretty well...but I don't think it was a slam dunk. Still, its nice to just get the chance to get out of the house and meet new people. Although having a lot of sewing time is nice, I'm beginning to crave human interaction!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this pattern. Totally cool to see it made up at last. It looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a gorgeous dress, so perfect for spring and summer.

    ♥Darla

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely gorgeous dress, sweetie, you did an amazing job with it!

    For years I'd really shied away from yellow as many golden hues seemed to class with my skin and hair tones, but last year I bought a couple of yellow pieces and am now smitten with this punchy, energetic colour.

    Tons of hugs,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete