I bought four yards of this fabric, intending to make a shirtwaist out of it. I forgot about it in the stash for a long time. It's much sunnier yellow than it appears here.
I made the bolero from Simplicity 1657 way back in May and never got around to putting it away. While cleaning up the sewing room I found it again decided that it was the right pattern for this yellow fabric.
This dress was super easy to put together. I was worried that the instructions for the pleating would be difficult to understand, but it wasn't hard at all. I transferred all the pattern markings to the fabric (I don't always) and it really helped a lot.
I got a little confused while putting together the bodice. The front part of the bodice isn't faced (the fabric is just folded over and ironed flat) and I was sure that it would look strange or flip up. It doesn't. Turns out that not facing the front neckline allows the fabric to drape. Who knew?!
The only thing that gave me real trouble was the width of the neck. It was really wide and the sleeves kept slipping off my shoulders. I had already sewn in (and top stitched) the sleeve facings when I realized that it was going to be a problem. I had to invent a quick fix in order to avoid having to unpick the sleeve. I put my crappy alteration techniques to work and sewed a steep triangle along the shoulder line towards the neck.
It worked perfectly, even if the shoulder is a little thick. It's like there is a tiny shoulder pad on the inside, but I don't plan to trim the excess. It doesn't slide off my shoulders now at all, and I think the slight padding looks good.
It doesn't pull or twist in the back, I swear! It's just my weird pose that is making the fabric twist. Its hard to get a good back view shot. I never know what to do with my arms.
C'mon spring! I'm looking forward to a warm day when I can wear this dress.
Oh, one more thing: I have an interview tomorrow morning so wish me luck!!