Thursday, February 18, 2010

Cheap Pantyhose Fix

It's really hard to find beige-on-beige back-seam pantyhose. Beige-on-beige back seam stockings are easier to find, but the good ones are expensive and I am cheap. I tend to be pretty rough on hose so I hate to spend too much on them. Besides I really like pantyhose, especially when its cold out, and it's cold quite frequently here in Fogville.

A few months ago, I bought five pair of beige-on-beige back seam pantyhose from Amazon because they were really cheap. Unfortunately, they were the crappy Leg Avenue ones. I've worn Leg Avenue hose before so I should have known better but I got over-excited by the price. I regretted it as soon as I tried them on.

They fit pretty well (which is rare with Leg Avenue hose) but the yarn is horribly fuzzy. They have no sheen and look sort of...I don't know...chalky? Plus, it's like wearing Velcro on your legs. They cling to your skirts and make them climb up, even if you are wearing a slippery fabric, because they generate static like crazy. Also they rub together and pull when you walk and your seams end up all crooked. Ugh.

Last week I bought a pair of plain old Hanes pantyhose from Target. They were supposed to be top-to-toe extra support so I expected them to be a little squeezey. Instead, they fit perfectly. I think the only difference is they are made with a stronger yarn than usual. They are a slightly darker shade of beige and they have a light sheen so they are very vintage-looking hose, except for the lack of back seam.

This gave me a crazy idea.

When we went out dancing the other night, I put the new pair on over the crappy back seam tights. It was really easy to pull the good pair over the crappy ones and together they were still very sheer. I didn't feel like I was being over-squeezed and the two pairs of hose didn't make it difficult to visit the ladies room. You can't even tell I'm wearing two pairs and the seams stayed in place all night.

Another plus is that two pairs together will provide camouflage if you happen to run your hose. I somehow managed to shove a thumbnail through the Leg Avenue ones during a bathroom break...and you couldn't see the run at all through the top pair. Hahahahaha! I feel like an evil genius. I don't have to throw out all those Leg Avenue hose after all and neither do YOU! :) I don't know how much this will help, but here are pictures.

Before (Just Leg Ave)



After (With Hanes over the top.)



I think this would work with any brand of pantyhose over the Leg Avenue ones, as long as the top pair are made with a better quality slippery yarn. Has anyone else out there tried this?

4 comments:

  1. Oh!! that's a very good idea!! I've never tryed it, I thought you were gonna say it was so unconfortable to wear 2 pair , but you say it was ok!! cool!
    And the color of your legs looks GREAT with both pantyhose!! looks smooth, soft, I like it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't done this, but I have made seamed pantyhose out of regular. You just turn the hose inside out, and stitch up the back with a serger set on rolled hem (with the cutting blade retracted, of course.) Voila - inexpensive seamed hose in the color, quality, and brand you want.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that is a brilliant idea. I'd feel like an evil genius too, LOL! I usually buy the Leg Ave versions for dancing, cause they're so cheap - but yes, they always look... not so nice. I can't wait to try your technique!!

    ReplyDelete