Thursday, April 15, 2010

Shabam! Shorts!

I had a teensy bit of fabric left after making the blue 40's trousers and skirt so I made a pair of shorts with Simplicity 2425. This is truly the easiest, best, most wonderful shorts pattern of all time. It only took a couple of hours on a rainy Friday evening.

I'm still looking for an image of the pattern envelope, so if anyone has seen it on the web (or wouldn't mind scanning it for me from their stash) please let me know.

As usual, I ignored the pattern markings for the gathers in the front. I put in (I don't know what these are actually called) reverse-pleat thingies and then sewed decorative buttons on top. Here's a close up so you can see what I mean.



It might be easier to see what I've done from the inside.



I usually don't wear anything that I haven't blogged yet, but I couldn't resist wearing these (and the white triangle top below, more on that later) in Vegas. It would be nice to have a brief heat wave here in Fogville, so I could wear all these lightweight clothes that I'm obsessed with making. Sigh. Stupid Fogville.
Anyway, here's a snap of me wearing them by the pool at Viva...




and the usual kitchen shots...



12 comments:

  1. Love your shorts!! I would like to sew them for me. That simplicity pattern is a vintage one? I'm looking for it in the web but I can't find it.
    Can I ask why do you have your shots in the kitchen? it would be nice see you wearing your shorts in a garden =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these! You are really inspiring me to get moving and finish several projects (I tend to get distracted while sewing, and have too many projects going at once lol.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Lizzy - Yep. Its a vintage pattern. I found it inside a 40s dress pattern, which leads me to believe its 40s as well. The pattern calls for gathers along the full front, but I always omit them and do something else. I have looked EVERYWHERE for a copy of the pattern sleeve, but alas, no luck. I'm hoping that someone has it in their stash and will email me a scan of it. As for the kitchen pictures...well, I'm too shy to take them anywhere else. I feel silly posing where someone might see me. Besides, its COLD here all the time. Shorts + giant goosebumps = not so cute. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so talented! The shorts are adorable. I love the shot at the pool with the perfect sunglasses and top.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am completely in love with those shorts!!!
    -Andi x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great shorts Gaby! I totally understand your obsession with warm weather clothes - it seems like all the patterns I have (unless bought as part of a giant lot) are for summer play clothes - and I'm frozen 5 months of the year! ha ha! must have something to do with Viva...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your shorts are fabulous! I wish I could find a similar pattern :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. so darn tooten adorable are you!!!!!!!! love the shorts and that triangle top is 2 die 4! cat

    ReplyDelete
  9. these shorts are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your blog! I have been looking for it cause I lost it when hubs rebooted the computer. thanks for the post about this, Im looking for this pattern for my self.is this a newer pattern or older pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @ Bombshell Jessie: Thank you!! I believe this is an old pattern It was in the same envelope as a pattern from the 40s ... so I think its probably they same era. Late 30s/early 40s? If you happen to find it, I'd love a copy of the envelope! If I see it anywhere I'll be sure to let you know too.

    ReplyDelete