Thursday, April 22, 2010

Wardrobe Re-Fashion: Dress to Separates

A long, long time ago, I made a dress that I wore once, in Vegas. When I got home it went straight to the dry cleaners and then back in the closet. After several months, I took it out to wear it and discovered that, when it was dry cleaned, the zipper had been broken. Ack! I put it in the UFO pile intending to eventually put in a new zipper. Then I happened to run across some pictures of myself at VLV in the dress, and decided it really wasn't all that flattering. Zo... I split it into two separate pieces.

I added white seam binding around the bottom of the bodice and put in an upside down zipper. Viola! Instant top. Not sure if I have any business wearing a midriff top out in public, but I think it's awful cute!





Once it was removed from the polka-dot bodice the skirt is a perfect 40s-esque a-line. I bound the inside of the waistline with bias tape rather than adding on a waistband. Then I put in a lining and re-did the hem. Easy peasy! I found some scraps of white twill in my stash and made a tie-top to go with it using this pattern.



The tie-top would be really easy to make even without a pattern. Its basically just a triangle with the top flattened out and channels at the top and bottom for straps. I used a few scraps of seam binding to make the straps. The top strap was a bit short so instead of tying it, I added old gold plastic button that I found in the bottom of my sewing box.

I think that this outfit has a very pulp-novel bad-girl kind of look but, since it's all white, it's sort of innocent too.



Here's that gold button detail on the strap.



Could there ever be a flirtier summer outfit? I think not!

6 comments:

  1. Great idea! It worked really well. I like it as separates. =D
    -Andi x

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE both outfits! That's great that you were able to salvage the dress to make a top--it looks GREAT! And I love the flirty white summer dress...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Swell outfits! I'm not much of a seamstress, but gosh, you make me want to give sewing a fair shot ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey,

    I love your blog. Your sewing projects rock, and I totally covet your hair. I'm an admin at

    http://thethriftygarderobe.blogspot.com

    and I'd love to have you join us.

    Take a look around and let me know what you think.

    Thanks,

    NinjaEema

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very sexy. Looks terrific with the red hair.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh, you lovely, talented woman. these are both fantastic. i want that red polka dot number.

    ReplyDelete