Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Hair Fail

So... I have gray hair. I used to be a natural redhead long ago, but no more. For a while I went "strawberry blonde" because it was so much easier to hide the gray, but I like being really red so much better. With red-red hair I feel more like myself.

The super red isn't that hard to keep up, now that I have a system. I usually do a root touch up every four weeks and then two weeks after that, I hit it with Manic Panic or some other vegetable based dye to really bump up the color. That means I'm doing some sort of treatment every two weeks. Hopefully my hair won't all fall out! My hair actually feels really healthy but with all this processing I do feel like I'm tempting fate.

Anyway, now that I've got a system it usually works pretty well. Neither process takes that long and I'm even getting better at not dying the whole bathroom red. Of course sometimes I make stupid mistakes. The last time I did my root touch up, I really screwed up.

I did my root touch-up on a Sunday and three days later I set my hair for the first time in ages. (It just been too much to deal with since we've been moving house!) While separating the sections I noticed a little spot of gray. I wasn't too worried at first. I usually miss a spot, but its never too big so I don't worry about it. Then I looked closer.

Somehow I managed to miss a GIANT spot. Basically, the entire right side of my crown is still TOTALLY gray. I can't believe it. Well, I guess I know why there was so much dye left over this time: I was squeezing the bottle, but somehow managed to avoid getting dye on my head!!!!

It's pretty upsetting. This is the best picture I could get. It's blurry, but I think you can see how bad it is. Ick!


Its a pity. I was really liking the way my set came out, too.


Knowing there's all that untamed gray lurking in there kind of ruins it. :(

I hate to do another process just for one (enormous) spot, but I'm really not sure how else to proceed. If I do another root touch-up so soon, then I should probably forgo the color boost and that will leave me looking brassy. Ugh!!! I will probably just do nothing and hope that the gray stays hidden until I touch up my roots next month.

Sigh. Has this ever happened to you? Please share your home hair dye horror stories so I don't feel so bad.

8 comments:

  1. Wow, your hair does look gorgeous red and your set turned out fantastic!! I noticed a few grays before dying my hair (and I'm only 24!)but I call them "silver" hairs to make myself feel better! *lol*
    I've never had that happen but if you're nervous about doing another touch-up on that spot, I bet a salon would be able to fix it for you! Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh girl. The stories. The time I dyed my hair eggplant and when I went to get it fixed (ie turned a color that occurs in nature) the stylist didn't want to because it was the same color her hair was. The blonde highlights I did in college where I ended up looking like a skunk. The caramel highlights I had professionally done that brought out the green in my olive skintone so that I always looked like I was about to throw up.

    If you want to come over, I will dye just the part you missed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you look amazing!!! I love red hair but the fading & upkeep were too much!!! :( I have a few grays and I dye my hair 'natural black' every 4-6 weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love my dyed red hair too but you're right it's hard work to keep up! At 43 I'm very lucky I'm only just starting to get greys so even if I miss a bit it's light brown rather than grey which is a bit easier and I have really thick hair which seems to cover gaps up!

    I don't know what to suggest, if I were you I would just dye again, but that's me! Your set look great btw

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have trained Frank that he is to get the back and crown of my head, and along my neck and behind my ears for me. I even buy him his own gloves for helping me. He's a real pro after doing this for me for over 5 years.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally feel your pain!

    For about five years, I've been dyeing the front streak in my hair a bright Manic Panic red (unnatural red). I have naturally jet black hair and went through a very long punk phase. Last year, I developed an allergy to hair dye and had to strip out the red. I stripped my hair myself and the hair underneath that was bright orange. Very brassy, not in a good way. Since I'm now allergic to hair dye, I ended up dyeing my hair with a mixture of henna and indigo powder, and it worked out well. I went back to my natural jet black hair, and am too afraid to mess with it now. Now and again I'll see a grey hair or so. It really bothers me, but when it becomes unmanageable I'll probably just dye my whole head with henna and indigo.

    Janice
    http://www.meladori.com/shesinfashion/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks everyone for all your comments and stories. I am feeling a lot better about it now. I think I will probably give my hair another few days to calm down and then redo the roots. Stupid roots. ...and I will enlist the husband this time to make sure I've gotten my whole head. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, let me tell you this, I am the sloppiest colorist known to man. After several incidents that required replacing towels, bathroom rugs, underwear and clothes...not to mention wall paper damage and repainting, I stopped doing my own hair because I always missed spots. Pray for no wind was my motto! I had been salon addicted for quite a while (I skip meals to afford it, I'm serious) I discovered one of the root touch-up products. Not too bad, still missed some but not too bad until I discovered that I chose a color two shades darker, it didn't blend too well! I look like Black Beauty with stripes!!! My hair appointment is 2 pm tomorrow, I'm going to get yelled at! *ps hairdresser is a friend, she doesn't yell too loud:)

    ReplyDelete