Wednesday, September 8, 2010

A New Stove

Not much sewing to speak of lately. I have a few projects floating around my brain but, with the new house creating all sorts of new chores, it's been difficult to sit in the sewing room and concentrate.

I do have exciting sewing-related news though! In the next few weeks I may be featured over at the Blue Gardenia Learns to Sew Her Blossoms as part of Denise's series of posts on home sewists and their spaces. I'll be sure to let you know when/if that happens.

In the mean-time, the Hubs and I have been working on our new house and trying to make it into a home. Unfortunately, things keep breaking. It's a little frustrating, but I've been told that it's just one of those things to expect when you own your own home.

I had PG&E do a free appliance check first-thing after we moved in, and they red-tagged our furnace. That was exciting and expensive to deal with! The first quote we got was just insane and sent the Hubs and I into a bit of a panic. Luckily, we know a lot of people in the trades and were able to get some help with finding a reasonably priced furnace and installation.

If you ever buy a home, you might wanna have the gas company check the furnace out before you start signing papers. Our home inspector missed that it had huge cracks in all of the chambers and was a hazard both for fire danger and carbon monoxide poisoning. It's the kind of expense that would be nice to include in your contingencies, if you can.

PG&E also inspected our stove and discovered that the oven and broiler no longer worked. I can't really live without an oven. One of the things that is making unemployment less sucky is being Suzy Homemaker while I look for work. I bake things for the Hubs to take to his co-workers, and once a week I baby-sit a money-saving roast in the oven all day. Must. Have. Oven.

We thought about getting a vintage stove, but the space between our cabinets is too narrow for any of the vintage stoves we looked at. We don't intend to rip out our cabinets when we remodel our kitchen, so instead we looked for a retro stove that would fit in the space.

I would have really loved to have a stove like this from Big Chill.
Or one like this from Elmira Stove Works.
Unfortunately, these stoves are really expensive! We are on a very tight budget and I don't think we could ever afford either one of those stoves. We ended up with this one from Frigidaire.
Aside from the digital readout, I think it has a retro look not that much different from the Elmira or Big Chill stoves. The cast iron grate that covers the burners is pretty and I think the knobs look vintage. The center burner is another nice retro touch. I had a vintage stove in one of my apartments that had this feature and it's great for things like pancakes. I will be asking for a griddle pan for xmas, I think.

I've been using my new stove and oven for a couple of weeks now and it works great! It's a budget model so it doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles (like self-clean or auto-off) but it cooks and bakes just fine. I like that the grates cover the whole stove because it's really nice to be able to simply slide a heavy pot to the other side of the range without having to pick it up. I've used the center burner quite a bit already. It's especially handy when browning a large roast right in the roasting pan.

Here is a photo of the new stove in its new home in our kitchen.


6 comments:

  1. I love Elmira Stove Works! But you are right, they are super expensive. My dream kitchen would feature most of the appliances from there.

    ~Kate~
    http://vintageinamodernworld.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to see your new place sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice-lookin' stove. And of course you'll be featured, silly girl. Probably next week. Check this weekend for a giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Kate: Yes! I like to go to the Elmira web page and dream too. If only we had the money!

    @ Kim: We are hoping to have an open house soon. We have to do some work on the deck so that people don't fall through and money for lumber is a bit tight at the moment. Hopefully we can do it before the fall rains start!

    @ Denise: I am SO excited to be featured on your blog!!! Looking forward to your giveaway too! Woo!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The stoves are beautiful! I'd love to have one! It would certainly brighten up kitchen!

    I am a new follower. I hope you will visit my blog and follow me back.

    Have a great weekend!
    Mrs. White
    http://thelegacyofhome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. great apron :) i love the Elmira stoves also, but please...i grew up in the era where that style was what everyone's grandma had, now they want 6,000.00 for one? good god.

    ReplyDelete