Thursday, October 21, 2010

New Job, New (Work) Look, New Shoes

After a year of unemployment I finally have a job. Naturally, I celebrated by buying new shoes!

I need new shoes for my new job. No, really, I do. ;)

I've worked for as an assistant to lab scientists for the past ten years, but my new job is at a trade organization that serves the local biotechnology community. That means have to dress a bit more like a professional than I have in the past. I'm trading my jeans, t-shirts and cardigans for skirts, dresses, and blazers so, of course, my Converse are being replaced with footwear that is more office appropriate.

Admittedly, I already have a LOT of shoes and lots that would work in an office setting but most of them are cheaply made. Cheap shoes are, unfortunately, not the most comfortable thing for wearing all day, every day. Luckily, several of the comfort brands have come out with some really cute vintagey options. I am now the proud owner of three new pairs of comfortable office-appropriate shoes!

First I bought a pair of boots to wear while commuting when the autumn rain starts. Fleur's post from last year inspired me to keep an eye out for a pair of modern boots with vintage charm. I think the Arrow boot from Fitzwell, fit the bill nicely. To me, they look like a modern twist on the galoshes that Emily from Livin' Vintage scored at a flea market. If I could find galoshes to fit over my shoes I'd be in heaven!! Until then, I'm happy with these warm and snuggly boots.




* * *

These are Venezia by the brand Sofft. I think they have a very nice basic look that goes well with pencil skirts and pouffy dresses. The best part is, they have actual arch support so I know I can wear these all day without pain.


* * *

These are my favorites! They are Diamond Star from Clarks Artisan line. They have a wonderful '40s look and will be great with trousers and a-line skirts. They are super flexible and comfy and feel like sneakers.



Also, now that I have a job, I can afford to buy notions and linings and...fabric! YAY! Sewing will return to Sewing Is Hard. From my first paycheck, I intend to get my machine tuned up and buy some nice wool blend suiting so that I can whip up a few more office appropriate skirts and maybe a pair of trousers. Stay tuned!

17 comments:

  1. CONGRATS!!!

    I love all your shoe choices and I can also attest that Clarks makes some truly comfortable heels. I'm still in love with my rust pair and am planning a new fall-colored dress to go with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. *sigh* Such lovely shoes! I am green as a very green thing!
    Well done on the job - I absolutely agree that it warrants new shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great shoes and congrats on the Job!!! Start saving for Viva, you and Morgan have to go :-) See you at the Zombie Ball?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on the new job. There are few occasions that warrant new shoes and this is one of them. I love your choices. Very chic. Can't wait to see what your "office wardrobe" will be like. I'm expecting the same "zest". LOL
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  5. you got a job - YAY!!!! that's wonderful!! i can't wait to hear more about it. :)

    you look absolutely fabulous, i love the shoes AND the accompanying outfits!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on the new job, YAY! I love those 2nd shoes, and they're comfy? Wow, I would love those, but I'm in the UK :o(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on the new job....drooling over all your lovely shoes...good choices!

    MaryDeluxe

    ReplyDelete
  8. yay new job! When I finally get a job I plan on buying shoes too! Rewards you know.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You look really nice! Love the outfits and the shoes! Congratulations on your new job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looking GLORIOUS!! Uber congrats on the new job!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations! You look gorgeous and have great taste in shoes.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  12. YAY for you and your new job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You glamourpuss, you! I like the Sofft shoes best, but all are nifty. Congrats on the new job!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats on the new job!!! :) I love any excuse for buying new shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats on the new job, I´m so happy for you! And you look so chic, wow!

    ReplyDelete
  16. At Target.com they have a product called the Shuella Rain Boot - they're pink boots that fit over your shoes - like the rubber shoe covers of my grandmother's era. Hope that helps you keep your new shoes nice in the winter weather. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congrats on the job! I just bought the Clark's shoes on your recommendation, so I hope they fit! I've never bought shoes online before. I always have sore feet, so I'm crossing my fingers (toes?) that these are comfy!

    ReplyDelete