Sunday, October 24, 2010

Work. Shoes. Fun.

Tomorrow begins the third week of my job. Thank you everyone for all of your nice comments and congratulations!! I am very happy to be employed once again.

Working is way better than being broke but it takes up so much TIME!! I'm having a hard time with my schedule. For the last ten years or so, I've managed to arrange it so that I get in super early and leave around 4/4:30 pm. At my new gig I don't get to leave until 5:30 and it is killing me. I feel like I basically get home, eat, go to bed and start all over again. I hope that I start to relax into my new schedule soon. At the moment, I'm so tired and busy that I feel like I barely have time to blog, much less read everyone else's blogs. I miss you all so much!!!!

- - -

I've worn my new shoes (not the boots tho) more than once and have found them to be mostly comfortable.

The Clarks are the best of the bunch as they broke in almost immediately. I had a little rubbing on my baby toes on day one but that was all. They are nice and wide, for a pump, and the leather stretched out to fit my feet really quickly.

The Sofft are second best. The arch support is really great and while my toes did get a little achy on the first day, it was definitely manageable. By the third wearing, my toes were happy and snuggly. No pain. Good shoes. LOVE that arch support!

...and I kind of accidently bought another pair.

The day after my big shoe binge, I was killing time in Ross and I found another pair of super cute comfort shoes. They just happened to be a pair that I'd wanted to try on at Macy's but they didn't have them in my size. When I saw them at Ross, I had to get them. They were $22 at Ross and $85 at Macy's so it was a no brainer. They are Aerosoles Beninsula.


Cute huh? The peep toe (which is impossible to see in my photos) just kills me - too adorable. I really wish they were more comfortable. They are very flexible and the heel is nice and sturdy but they aren't leather. By the end of the first day my toes were really pinchy and I couldn't wait to take them off. The second time I wore them it was better but I am worried that they will always hurt a bit, since plastic doesn't stretch like leather. They would have been more of a bargain if they were leather. Oh well. Live and learn.

- - -

Tonight is Halloween. We bought some candy to give away, but we haven't had any trick-or- treaters. This is first time in years I've been home on Halloween night, so maybe I'm doing it wrong? The porch light is on... Is there something else I'm supposed to do? Do city kids even trick-or-treat? I guess they probably all go to the mall or something? Or maybe everyone did thier Halloween stuff Friday and Saturday night?

Hubs and I attended the Zombie Prom on Friday night. He was a calavera and I was a flapper. I took a few quick shots of our costumes before we went out, but I was in a hurry. They are not the greatest snaps ever, but you get the idea.



I am especially excited to show you all my hair-do because, shockingly, it totally worked! I hope that's not too immodest. The fact that my hair worked at all was a miracle as I really had no idea what I was doing.

I dampened the front with product, slapped in some wave clips and let those sit while I put the lower sections in Hot Sticks. I applied some heat to the wave clips with a blow drier, just to be sure that the waved areas set properly. Once the hot rollers were cool, I unrolled the sections and pulled them apart with my fingers, just to fluff them a little. Then I re-rolled them loosely and turned them so that the curls were flat against my head. It was extremely difficult to pin them down and hide the pins at the same time, so I had to re-do the rolls a few times and re-position the curls. I probably still had some pins showing but I tried very hard to camouflage them as much as possible. A good shellacking with hairspray and I was ready to go.


See? Good hair! Amazing!

We had a wonderful time at the prom, although I ended up overindulging a little bit. (Damn you, tequila.) There were so many great (and scary!) costumes. I wish I'd brought my camera. Kim over at The Kim Show has lots of great photos of the event so you really should pop over there and have a look.

Happy Halloween!

9 comments:

  1. Oh you look great! Love the new shoes too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most excellent choice in footwear and your hair looked so good on Friday night. YOU looked so good on Friday night! I wore the red dress you gave me as a devil girl...it shall be making another appearance during the holidays, for sure!

    See you Friday at the record hop!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the flapper look so fab! Glad the financial side of work is working out for you, I'm sure you'll get used to the later finish I'm sure soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't get discouraged about the long working hours, I can tell you from my own experience that you'll get used to it soon. 2 years ago I started a job, better paid but with longer working hours (45 instead of 40 hours/week) and the first 3 or 4 months were really hard, I only wanted to eat and sleep once I got home. In the meantime, it's really ok, I have changed my routines and can still squeeze in time for blogging and sewing.
    I really like your style, btw!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on the new job! Late hours definitely make things feel like a grind, especially after some time off - that's why weekends are soooo awesome. You & M looked great in your costumes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on your new job!

    It's totally normal to have long work hours! I work 9-6 at a day job, and sometimes come home to work on freelance projects. My mother works as a nurse and works 12 hour shifts. It's very common to work long hours nowadays.

    ReplyDelete