I used this fabric.
This is probably the most mid-century looking fabric in my stash so I wanted to be sure that I used exactly the right pattern.
After digging around in the stash a few times I finally decided on this one. Its from the early 60s and definitely the right era for the fabric's mid/mod print.
It doesn't look like much on the pattern envelope, but it looks good sewn up.
I flat lined the skirt and bodice with a deep burgundy poly. I didn't line the sleeves because I wanted to take advantage of the fabric's stretchiness. My arms are a little, ahem, big and I usually have problem squeezing them into vintage sleeves.
In the past I've avoided dirndle skirts because I thought they added too much bulk around my waist. I think the key is making sure that the bodice fits the waist properly. When you create a smooth and snug waistline the gathered fabric should accentuate it, rather than add bulk. Well, that's my theory, anyway.
I followed the pattern exactly and it really was simple to make! I usually make some grave error that has to be torn out and re-sewn or end up with some kind of weird fit issue. Not this time. I can say with complete confidence that I love this dress!
This is the first full skirted dress that I've completely lined and I love it! It is absolutely luxuriant! The slippery lining slides over my skin and underpinnings beautifully. The extra weight of the lining adds to the way the dress hangs and moves.
There is a v-back under all that hair...I think we can call this one a success! Not only is it my first fully-lined full-skirted dress but it is the first garment that I feel really truly 100% proud of. I almost feel like I know what I'm doing, for once. I'm sure that feeling will be shattered by the next project but until then I'm going to revel in my completion of a perfect dress.