Thursday, January 13, 2011

Fish and Wine

My intention, when I got my first paycheck, was to get my machine tuned up, buy a bunch of nice wool suiting, and make a bunch of work clothes. Well, I got the machine tuned up... but I just couldn't fall in love with any of the suiting at my usual fabric store. Fabric.com has some that looks very pretty but I really shouldn't buy any more fabric online. Its too addictive and I need to sew up some of the fabric I have. So that's what I did.

I used this fabric.


This is probably the most mid-century looking fabric in my stash so I wanted to be sure that I used exactly the right pattern.

After digging around in the stash a few times I finally decided on this one. Its from the early 60s and definitely the right era for the fabric's mid/mod print.



It doesn't look like much on the pattern envelope, but it looks good sewn up.

I flat lined the skirt and bodice with a deep burgundy poly. I didn't line the sleeves because I wanted to take advantage of the fabric's stretchiness. My arms are a little, ahem, big and I usually have problem squeezing them into vintage sleeves.

In the past I've avoided dirndle skirts because I thought they added too much bulk around my waist. I think the key is making sure that the bodice fits the waist properly. When you create a smooth and snug waistline the gathered fabric should accentuate it, rather than add bulk. Well, that's my theory, anyway.

I followed the pattern exactly and it really was simple to make! I usually make some grave error that has to be torn out and re-sewn or end up with some kind of weird fit issue. Not this time. I can say with complete confidence that I love this dress!

This is the first full skirted dress that I've completely lined and I love it! It is absolutely luxuriant! The slippery lining slides over my skin and underpinnings beautifully. The extra weight of the lining adds to the way the dress hangs and moves.


There is a v-back under all that hair...
I think we can call this one a success! Not only is it my first fully-lined full-skirted dress but it is the first garment that I feel really truly 100% proud of. I almost feel like I know what I'm doing, for once. I'm sure that feeling will be shattered by the next project but until then I'm going to revel in my completion of a perfect dress.

28 comments:

  1. Great job! The style and color look fantastic on you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a really great job, it fits perfectly and look superb! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies! I'm reeely happy with it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the dress! It is very flattering on you. I agree with your lining assessment. I line almost everything I make. It really helps with the shape of the garment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Linda! Being the most impatient sewist in the world, I always thought lining was too time consuming and too much of a pain. If only I'd known what a difference it makes to a finished garment, I'd have been lining things long ago!

    ReplyDelete
  6. that is a fantastic dress and fabric. you look beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! You look fantastic. You've done an amazing job!
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  8. That dress looks very lovely on you :) Love the fabric too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE everything about this dress!

    Isn't it the best feeling when it all comes together - it's what makes all of those other hair tearing, wadders, and never worn projects seem not so bad in perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this!! Great job on pairing such a wonderful fabric with a great pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks awesome Gabby! It would go nicely into night, too. I hope I see you Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. ooh I love it! The fabric is absolutely fabulous.

    xx Charlotte
    Tuppence Ha'penny Vintage

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful dress and a fantastic fit!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wowsers! Thanks everybody!

    @ Moxie Tonic - Yes it really does make me feel like all those disasterous projects might have been learning experiences after all. :)

    @ Kim Bombshell - I totally forgot about the show on Saturday. Me and the big guy will try to make it. Haven't seen you in AGES!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks beautiful! You should have the confidence to do any dress now. It looks beautiful on you and very professional.

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow that dress looks amazing on you and what gorg fabric, I love the style and shape of the 50's they were just made for the womens shape and you have captured this so well. You should be very proud of yourself. Well done you, Dee ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. The dress looks amazing on you !
    Beautiful,both.

    Elise x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, that's a great dress. I never would have gone for it by the picture on the envelope, but it's perfect with the fish fabric and you look gorgeous in it. The color also goes well with your hair.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That dress looks stunning on you! I've been wanting to try sewing vintage clothes from the huge stash of patterns I've got, and you are inspiring me :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. AYE!!! FABULOUS!!! make me one! hahaha or 6 ! Love the fabric! looks great on you with your hair and everything ! Love it and glad i found your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh my goodness, this is perfect! It looks so beautiful on you, too. Very well done!

    Especially nice is that single goldfish at your waist. Very well done!

    ReplyDelete
  22. gorgeous! that print is so great. it's so satisfying to sew something that fits well.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm not sure how I found my way over here, but I'm loving your blog. And WOW on this dress! Holy cow. I recently saw this pattern on eBay or some such place and thought no way, too poofy and formal looking. But it looks fantastic on you, and not too 'much' at all! The fabric is a perfect match, too. Congrats on such a wonderful creation, I hope to get there someday with my sewing where I am truly 100% happy with something. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks Tasha! I just popped over to your blog. Love it! You have such a great look and your glasses are SO cute!! I can't wait to see more of your sewing projects.

    ReplyDelete