Friday, January 21, 2011

Pattern Crazy

For some reason, the last time we went to the thrift store it was full of cute patterns. This is what I got...

Simplicity 5556


I love this dress. I think that, made in something other than polyester, it could be super cute and sort of Joan-esque.

* * *

Simplicity 5215

I had to buy this one, even though I don't make doll clothes, and the instructions and most of the pattern are missing. I think I will frame it and hang it in the sewing room.

* * *

Simplicity 4539

At some point, I will get over my terror of sewing lightweight stretchy fabrics and make some knit tops. Really! I love the one with the tie neck, though its probably way beyond my skill level.

* * *

McCalls 7356

I don't usually make loose fitting clothes clothes because they don't work that well with all my curves, but I love this dress. I really do. Its way more late 70s/early 80s than I go for, but its also sort of "McCalls knocks off Halston doing Grecian Fabulous." Gotta love that!

* * *

McCalls 4897

Yes, the pattern illustration is hideous, but peasant tops always rock. I love the midriff version, though I would not wear it unless I was also wearing very high-waist trousers or shorts. Nor would I wear it (or any of the others) off the shoulder. I like the rick-rack version lots. It would be super cute and Western-y with a tiered (broomstick) skirt or a circle skirt with matching rick-rack trim.

* * *

Butterick 5774

See? Terrible drawings, but cute peasant tops. Irresistible.

* * *

Butterick 6124

I bought a dress just like the short version in an awesome Hawaiian print at Hilo Hattie while on my honeymoon. Unfortunately, I have since (cough) grown out of it. Its super comfy on hot days, except for being too small. Grr. But now I can remake it in a size that will mostly fit! Yay!

* * *

Butterick 5939

I honestly don't know why I bought this one except that I love wedding dresses and I lost my mind a little bit. I see a little Regency influence, and maybe a little Edwardian...but it mostly looks like a nightgown.

* * *

NewLook 6340


This one had to come home with me because the bottom view is just SO 1990s swing scene. (That's retro, now, right?) It reminds me of learning to dance and meeting all my wonderful girlfriends and going to swing dance camp and Viva Las Vegas. Such good times!

6 comments:

  1. I see some gypsy peasant blouses in your future! They would look cute with your hair in finger waves :-) See you tonight, I hope :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are all really cute. I have the same fear of lightweight knits! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Kim: I wish I could be there tonight but we are going to the Edwardian Ball. Of course, we might swing by afterwards...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the peasant tops. Carmen miranda style !!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good catch.

    Peasant tops rock, even though the gathering at the top is a bit time consuming.

    TeeHee, don't you think all the ladies on the wedding dress pattern look a little bit ... pregnant already? ;-) Would indeed be a good nightgown pattern, though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Couturette: You are SO right. I was thinking the same thing about the pregnant brides. Too funny!

    ReplyDelete