Thursday, February 3, 2011

Pretty Pretty Paper


This is the wallpaper we've chosen for our downstairs bathroom. Its called Hula Hula by Crezana designs. I love it so much! Its a bit spendier than we would like. Okay, a lot spendier. A LOT LOT. So spendy that I'm not even going to tell you the price. But its SO darned cute.

The hubs and I had a long talk last night about whether or not we could afford it. I'm in charge of the dollars and I run an extremely tight ship, moneywise, and most of the renovations and home purchases we've done so far have been accomplished on the cheap. Initially, paying so much money for a design item was hard to fathom. It's not going to support the structure of the house or cook a meal or chill beverages or run water to the house. What it will do, is sit there and look pretty and make us happy every time we see it. After much discussion and a lot of math, we decided it was worth it. Its just so gorgeous and it fits our personality so well.

It is grasscloth so it has a fabric backing which makes it a bit like a very heavy upholstery fabric. Maybe a bit less flexible, but probably sew-able. In fact, the Crezana blog shows some throw pillows made with it!

http://crezanadesign.blogspot.com/2009/12/aloha.html

Aren't they just the ginchiest? I wonder if I could make something cute from the scraps...? A wallet maybe? Here's hoping for scraps!

So who else has gone mad and purchased something totally non-functional for your home despite the cost because you just loved it so much? We can't be the only ones?

11 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness that is stunning!!! Holy moly! We do everything on a budget but occasionally splashing out for something like that is worth it! I'm off to look that company up now :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, it's so incredibly cute! I've done things that that before too. If it makes you smile, it's worth the price. I really wanted retro wallpaper for my kitchen from Bradbury and Bradbury but we live in an apartment (no wallpaper allowed) and it was really expensive so I bought 25 samples, which are about the size of printer paper and made a border to go around the kitchen, above the cabinets. It looks awesome and was only $25! I used the left-overs to cover my utensil canister and a set of cheap stove top covers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that wall paper! I'm
    pretty good with saving, so usually if I want it I buy it. Otherwise why save? I don't see a wedding, a house, kids or any other big investments in my near future, so I live a frivolous life of things I don't need but must have :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that wallpaper! It's very retro looking. Great.
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sooooooooo cuuuuuuuuuuute!!! I can't wait to come and see your place! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Ladies! It makes me feel better that I'm not the only one who occasionally goes a little kooky with housey stuff.

    @ Brittany - Do you have pix of your kitchen posted on the blog? I'd love to see them.

    @ Mel - when do you kids get back? We are looking forward to having you over!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The wallpaper is great - and OF COURSE I've done that! I wanted this faucet that looked like bamboo in our downstairs bath. And then there was the time that I insisted on putting copper in the valley of the roof. I'm sure there's another one or two things that are escaping me right now. But I figure since most of what we do is on the cheap, a little splurge now and then makes things interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ Tiff: since you are my home reno idol, that means a lot. Did you eventually get your bamboo faucet for downstairs? I'd love to see it! Although it might encourage another crazy purchase...

    ReplyDelete
  9. i think the fact that your designer friend got it for you at NET cost justifies the whole sha0bang! it is going to look fabulous! just like you! xoxo

    PS - you have to delete the post above from my work account...!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Its so true Nelly! My designer friend is the BEST!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gabriella! Aaron is now back in SF, and I get back the week before Viva! :)

    ReplyDelete