Thursday, October 20, 2011

7 Things About Me

Thanks to Bea from Butterflies and Hurricanes for this Stylish Blogger Award! I got this award many months ago and for some reason it took me forever think of seven semi-interesting things about me. I don't understand why it was so difficult. But anyway, here are 7 things you don't know about me.

1. I had a tiki themed wedding and a Hawaiian honeymoon. This photo is from the Luau we went to on the last day of our honeymoon. They had a photographer that snapped your photo on the way in, and later you could buy it for $25..? I loved the way ours came out and I'm so glad I bought it. This was taken only a few years ago an I'm amazed at how young and fresh we look. I guess we were pretty relaxed after a week in the islands.





2. I'm a total vampire nerd. If there's a vampire in in it, I'll watch it. Or read it. I'm not terribly choosy. I like it all. Actually, I love pretty much anything supernatural (or Sci Fi) and the more preposterous the better. (Ghost Hunters, Stargate, etc.) Except for Zombies. Zombies scare the crap out of me.



3. I really love images of bullfighters. I even went to a bloodless (Portuguese style) bullfight once. It was thrilling and strange and beautiful. I'm not sure I could stomach a real bullfight, though. Anyway, my grandfather was from Spain so my grandparents had a lot of Spanish-y stuff scattered around their home. This relief hung over the fireplace for years. When my grandma sold her house, it ended up in my cousin's garage and when I found out she had it, I begged her for it. I'm so glad she gave it to me. I love it so much.


4. My cat had to to have a lung removed last year. Thanks to lots of time spent at the vet he is the most expensive thing we own, other than the house. (Although I suspect he really owns us, not the other way around.) Here he is after surgery in a t-shirt I made for him because he kept escaping from his Elizabethan cone. He HATED that t-shirt, but it kept him from licking his scar. He is perfectly fine and happy now. You'd never know he's only got one lung.




5. I have been wearing the same vaguely pointy 50s style bra since high school. I bought my first "old lady bra" when I was 16. It was black and had a little pink rose between the breasts. I'm not sure if I was emulating Madonna or Marilyn, but I loved that bra. I was so sad when JC Penney discontinued them. Over the years this particular style, in black, has gotten harder and harder to find. The only brand that still makes them is Hanes/Bali and for a while they discontinued them in black, and I was reduced to dying my bras. So glad they've brought the black back! (Now everyone go out and buy this bra in black so it doesn't fall out of production again. M'kay, thanks!)



6. I mostly listen to mid-century mood music & standards and I have a lot of old albums on vinyl. My favorites are the 60s Brazilian jazz and samba records. When I lived in a town that had seasons (unlike Fogville) I would open up all my doors and windows on warm summer mornings and play the soundtrack to Orfeu Negro at full blast. My neighbors must have loved me.



7. I don't shave under my arms. I hate the way it feels to have stubble there and I get awful razor burn and ingrown hairs if I shave every day. Plus I am an excessive sweater and shaving seems to make it worse. Instead of shaving, I bleach the hair under my arms every couple of weeks, about every time I dye my hair, and I keep it pretty short. Honestly, though, I'm not super fastidious about it. Having fur there doesn't bother ME, though it might offend other people. In my wonderfully cosmopolitan city, I have met many stylish European ladies (mostly French, for some reason) who don't shave either, so I figure I'm in good company.

For this blog award I'd like to nominate 7 bloggers who inspire me:

Fiona

Tasha
Barbara
Peter
Isis
Charlotte
Trixie

6 comments:

  1. It's always ncie to know more things about bloggers, thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, thanks for including me! I feel pretty honored to be included with a group of such illustrious bloggers :)
    Your Tiki theme wedding is the best! Ever since I saw 'Blue Hawaii' I wanted a wedding like that. Sigh. May have to do a renew the vows type of thing at this point.
    And I am a total vampire nerd too! I really thought the last few books I've read were just normal run-of the-mill fantasy, but they all turned out to have vampires in them! It's like they seek me out.
    Have you read the Parasol Protectorate books? More Steampunk but with a good dose of vampires and werewolves on the side, and very fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Barbara: Yay, vampires! I will check out the Parasol Protectorate books, for sure. Currently I'm reading the Hunger Games books and I love them so much. No vampires, but a really great central female character.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just recently finished the first of the Hunger Games books, but it was SO intense I haven't had the energy to start the next one!
    I read the first few chapters of my mom's library copy of 'A Discovery of Witches' this weekend, and it seems to have a promising vampire character. I'll keep you posted on it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Barbara: Yeah, the HG books are pretty intense. I just finished the series and...they don't really get any less intense. But I still really enjoyed them.

    Netflix just added the British series Being Human to Watch It Now: a ghost, a vampire, and a werewolf as housemates in suburban Bristol. Also a little intense, but great.

    ReplyDelete