Friday, November 18, 2011

You Are Gold

I buy 60s (and early 70s) shift dress patterns. I love them. They rarely look good on me, so I rarely sew them but they are like kryptonite or catnip or ... anyway, I can't resist them.

Lately, I've been experimenting with making the 60s shift dress work on my super curvy shape. If it works on Joan Holloway, its got to work on me. Right?

This very mod McCalls pattern from 1969 was super simple to make.



First pass of completion it was like a big shapeless goldenrod sack. I had to do a pretty intense curved side seam to follow my waist and hip curve. I also added two long darts in the back to nip in the bagging midriff. The midriff is still a bit loose, but I didn't want to add darts to the front.




The soundtrack for this dress is Gold by Spandau Ballet, of course. I can't get it out of my head.

9 comments:

  1. I love them too. Those 60's girls are so damn hot! I have a stack of patterns that I will probably never make but I LOVE the graphics.
    Your dress looks fabulous, the colour is gorgeous. You have inspired me to give the shift another chance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks really good with the back darts! I love 60s shift dresses too, but they seemed to have such different shapes back then - maybe just different undergarments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ kristie - They are great, aren't they? You should sew one up! I bet the shift shape would look great on you.

    @ molly - I'm certain that women were curvy back then too. I guess everyone just wore what was fashionable and available...and probably squeezed into a girdle when necessary. I'm so glad we have so many choices now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a FAB looking dress on you! Once you work with retro patterns, you will be hooked. Thanks for the Spandau-riffic trip on memory lane!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ heatherssphere: thanks! I adore vintage patterns. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was never a big fan of the "60's colors" but that yellow looks great on you! Although it may not jive with the style, a wide accent belt might take care of the bagginess of the mid-driff region. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're a 50s shape, not a 60s Stick. I was shouting at the screen for you to put a belt on it ! One of your wide belts would pull that 'shapeless sack' right in to your curves

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah french_seam, thank you for defending my curves! :) I agree, it's not really my best style, but it's fun to experiment anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks lovely & the colour suits.

    ReplyDelete