Sunday, January 15, 2012

This Time It's Green

This 1965 pattern is a little more fitted then the last one.



I wasn't too sure about the big bow in the front.  It looks great in the drawings, but I'm not really a giant bow kind of girl.  I ended up attaching it to a pin rather than stitching it to the dress.  It doesn't lie flat which is annoying.



This dress was super easy to put together. The only thing I can't quite figure out is how to iron the collar.  I haven't been able to figure out a good way to get the wrinkles out and still maintain the curve, so it looks a little rumpled.  I will see if the dry cleaner can do anything with it.  If not, it may have to go.



Again, I can't seem to get the waist fitted enough and it's still baggy.  I've intensified the curve in the side seam and deepened the front darts.  All told, I've taken it in by about four inches and, while it does fit better,  I've messed up the way it drapes in the back.  Oh la!  A little more fiddling, I think and it will be fine.  As it is, it's fine to wear to work.

10 comments:

  1. LOVE IT !! The colour looks great on you and I like it with or without the bow - its great that you can have the choice. Great job x

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks fantastic! I really like the color and I think you've made the right choice attaching the bow to a pin...great job!
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look nice in that dress and the color looks good on you (greens always look great on red heads)!
    Just a tip, I use my 1" flat iron to smooth out small or delicate pieces that I can't use a regular iron for. I also use it for a quick ironing and when I'm sewing so that my hem lines don't come out crooked and I don't have to use a million pins so it makes sewing on a machine a lot easier. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone!

    @ Saray - that is a GREAT tip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow that's really pretty! I love the dress you made, I think it's a lot prettier and more flattering than the drawing! Nice

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love, love, love. The colour The fit! I agree with Trixie; your dress is definitely better than the drawing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh! So cute! The fit is awesome. You need to make one in every color.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cute! Are you able to find the right size of pattern or are you making adjustments to the pattern's in another size to fit you? I see many patterns I find cute but haven't been brave enough to try altering them to fit me right.

    ReplyDelete