Tuesday, February 28, 2012

The Joaniest of Joanies


Well, friends, guess what I've learned?  I've learned that I don't look all that great in shift dresses.  But I love a wiggle dress!  It doesn't get any more Joan Holloway-Harris than this dress.  She's even on the pattern cover.

The person who owned the pattern before me slashed the front and back bodice in half.  Luckily I bought some pattern paper a while back so I was able to trace the split pieces into one.



The only major issue I had was that there is supposed to be a lapped zipper and I just could NOT figure out the instructions.  I inserted the zipper in the usual way with no problem.



And the dress fits like a glove.  Literally.  It's like a second skin.  It's really comfy despite being snug.  Is it too snug?  I don't know.   A lot of my ready-to-wear fits this way.  I don't think I'd be worried about it being too tight if I'd bought it off the rack.  Anyway, I love it and the husband says it's va-va-voom fabulous.

20 comments:

  1. Ohh!! Love it!!! you did a great job and it fits you really good, and besides all that you look like her too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks fabulous! What a great job you did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah! By the way, some sites are doing a MAd Men inspired not contest but something like that, sorry, sometimes I can't find the words in english, but visit Sew Weekly.com and http://www.juliabobbin.com/2012/02/mad-men-dress-challenge-you-in.html, you can enter with this dress

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your husband is absolutely right, it´s va-va-voom! I also like the colour, suits you perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks amazing, and I love the fit! I second Lizzy's comment, check out Julia Bobbin's Mad Men Challenge, this is perfect for that!
    strugglesewsastraightseam.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Thanks everyone for your nice comments. I'll hop over to Julia Bobbin's blog and check out the challenge. You guys are wonderful! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Va-va-voom is right! I don't think it's too snug at all - the fit is perfect & makes your bum look great ;D I really like the length as well.
    I love that the illustration looks like Joanie, too funny. What kind of fabric did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ Moxie Tonic: Thank you! I used poly gabardine which is becoming one of my favorite fabrics, now that I've gotten over the polyester stigma. It's super easy to work with, comes in bright lovely colors, it's perfect for ninteen sixties styles...and it's usually $3.99 a yard at my local discount fabric store. Win!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow, this is lovely! What a great Joannie look!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think you look great, just like Joanie. Now go and wiggle around your husband in it ;-)
    Love the colour on you too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The dress looks great on you, I dont think its too snug.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks fabulous, and fits beautifully. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I want to nip that skirt in a bit round your knees: it looks more tapered on the pattern, and your figure can take it

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just so you know, I don't think anyone with a figure looks good in a shift. I love the look, but I am just not lean enough to get away with them. My daughter looks beautiful in them, but she's not yet 13! Anyway, the dress you made is beautiful and quite flattering.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Both the dress and you look fabulous! I'm going to keep an eye out for that pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is really cute...you look great. That beautiful purple really complements your skin tone too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This dress is beautiful...and it looks amazing on you!

    ReplyDelete