Saturday, February 23, 2013

Another OPP

Another OPP from my friend's mother in-law.  

I started with pale bluish-grey linen that had been partially cut  into pants and some random pieces of cut fabric.  

I think that the oblong pieces are supposed to be the pockets, but I hate pockets so I ignored them. The long rectangles might have been intended as the waistband but I guess someone forgot to cut on the fold.  The serger came in handy again to connect the two waistband pieces in the center.  I'm beginning to wonder how I ever got along without that thing.

The pants weren't too far off from my size but they had only been partially cut out and the legs were a bit too wide for my taste.



I used this pattern to trim them down a bit and complete the cuts.


Once all the cutting was done, the pants went together lickety-split.  I love sewing with linen.  It's always so darned easy to work with. It's even easier than quilting cotton, I think.  I used the serger to finish all of the inside seams and for the first time in a very long while, something I made looks as good on the inside as it does on the outside.


2 comments:

  1. Wow, those pants turned out perfectly! Would you believe that I have a serger and have never used it? It is high time that I learn how that thing works; it sounds like it will make my life a lot easier!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude. The serger is so cool. I mean, I'm sort of afraid of it, and I have no clue how to thread it, my dear husband has yet to teach me, but just for the one thing that I use it for, which is finishing fiddly fabric edges, it RULES. No more raveling. Ever. I love love love it.

    ReplyDelete