Friday, February 8, 2013

You Down Wit' OPP?

And by that I mean Other People's Projects.

From time to time I will be offered someone's box of old sewing stuff that has been sitting in the back of a closet and collecting dust.  I almost always say yes because you never know what you will find.  Recently I was given a collection of really lovely fabrics by a friend's mother in law.  She gave me some very good quality stuff, much nicer than anything I'd ever buy for myself: wools and linens and interesting prints and a couple of unfinished projects.

I'm not sure the scanner does it justice, but this wool is a heathered blue and purple and the checks are made with alternating beige and yellow stripes.  So pretty!  This gorgeous wool had been cut into a skirt.  


Gathers had been stitched into the waist line and that was about as far as the previous owner had got.  It was a couple of sizes too big so I used my tried and true easy skirt pattern to trim it down to the right size.  I turned the front gathers into darts and cut a waistband out of the excess that I'd removed from the skirt pieces.



I'd never sewed with wool ever before and never anything with checks or plaid.  But it was so easy!  I used my serger (for the first time!) to finish all the edges and then just lined up the grid at the seams. Whoever cut this out originally did a great job.   I suspect that all the hard work with plaids is in the cutting.

I ended up with this.  Yowsa!  I love it!


This skirt is so luxurious and warm and dare I say it classy!  Perfect for work but it still has that retro vibe.

In this case, I am mos def down wit' OPP.  Yeah, you know me.

10 comments:

  1. What a lovely skirt. I'm so down wit' OPP!! I had that pattern once upon a time, I'm going to have to see if I still have it because it sure is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is great! Matching plaids can be hard, but it sounds like the OPP gave you an awesome head start. Most of the time, when sewing with plaids, I get lazy and just hope that nobody will notice my sloppy work. Your skirt turned out beautifully!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG how cute are you???? That picture looks straight out of Mad Men. Great skirt and gorgeous lady wearing it. So pretty!!! Love your hair.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That skirt is so cute! Your talent sewing talent amazes me since I still struggle just mending things!

    I hope I see you and Morgan in Vegas xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great! And congratulations on the serger - it is one of my favorite pieces of machinery.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so glad you're back! Matching plaids can be a bugaboo, but you;ve done an amazing job. The fit is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's great to see you posting again. :) The skirt looks awesome!!

    I recently sewed with wool for the first time and I love it. Considering I live somewhere really cold, I can't believe I didn't do it sooner. Loved it to work with!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so frustrated with my stalled sewing project that I just typed 'sewing is hard' into google while at work, because that is the kind of dork I am. And up popped your blog -- and that skirt is ADORBS, and so are you!

    Your style is so cute that immediately decided you were a blog to follow (also your tidy living room makes me wish I didn't have children a little). Then I saw you live in SF, as do I! So glad to have found you. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. GORGEOUS PHOTO OF YOU! SO MAD MEN! (And the skirt came out great too.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. GORGEOUS PHOTO OF YOU! SO MAD MEN!

    ReplyDelete