Wednesday, March 20, 2013

The Gertie Pedal Pushers

Pattern Description: 
Butterick B5895 - Pedal pushers with pockets and rolled cuffs.  My first "Patterns by Gertie!"


Pattern Sizing:
I traced off and cut out the size 12 (26.5/36)  My actual measurements: 29.5/39.


Fabric Used:
Dark blue denim reminant from Fabric Outlet

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
Deepened the darts in the back to narrow the waist a bit. Moved the zipper closure over to the side.  I may replace the hook closure with a button at some point in the future.


Used some left over quilting cotton with a Japanese print instead of self-lining the pocket.





Were the instructions easy to follow?
Yes. I imagined that the front bit with the pockets would be difficult but it was SO easy.  Everything fits together perfectly. 

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
Love the front detail and the SUPER easy pocket. (...and I never like pockets!)

As usual, with a modern pattern, I sewed up one size smaller than my actual measurements and it's still a titch big in the waist.  This is after I deepened the darts by a half inch each.  Damn waist to hip ratio!  OH well.



Absolutely HATED the back zip.  Did nothing at all for my bootie and created some pretty horrid gaposis (verging on plumber's crackosis) when I sat. Sigh.  I was much happier after I moved the zip to the side but I've still got some gaposis going on back there.  As it is now, my best and most authentic pin-up (read: granny) pants peek over the top a bit in back when I sit.  (Yeah, that's right, I gots no shame.)


This is a bummer because pin-up granny pants are the best thing ever under trousers. They don't make underwear lines, they erase tummy bulges, and I think they help to create a more vintage silhouette. Luckily I have a slightly less authentic pair of grannies that don't peek over.


Next time I will raise the waistline and deepen the darts even more.  I think that will help with the gaposis and also make them look much more like real vintage jeans.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
Yes, with alterations for a better fit.  This is a super easy pants pattern with a nice retro look.  I'd like to make an ankle length pair and a pair of shorts. 

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Sort of.  I imagined that the waist would be a smidge higher.  As you can see in the photos below it hits just below my natural waist. Next time I'll adjust for that.  Also thought that the legs would be narrower, especially at the bottom cuff.  I may narrow them later as, at the moment, the hems definitely look better flipped up.





Conclusion:
There are elements to these trousers that I really like.  In particular the pockets are delightful.  I think that, over all, I like the fit of my tried and true 60s pants pattern (Simplicity 4401) a bit better and will continue to use it for slacks.  For banging out a quick pair of knock-about jeans, tho, this pattern is pretty easy and pretty cute.



 


And that's quite enough photos for one post!

5 comments:

  1. They look cute! I always have to alter patterns, no pattern ever just fits me cos I'm short, round and have an enormous bust and don't even get me started on hip to waist ratio ;o)

    You did a great job though they look fabulous

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job! I have never used one of Gertie's patterns but I guess alterations are inevitable on any pattern. Mary asks for pockets in everything and I am loathe to add them because I hate to fiddle with them when I just want to get the garment finished. Plus, they seem unnecessary when one carries a purse (Mary assures me this is untrue).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that you moved the zip to the side and used colorful fabric for the pocket lining. Too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good job Gab. You are inspiring me to do more sewing.
    Check out my Pinterest board called Fabrics and Sewing. There are so really cute dress patters that you might like.

    Love Tia Maria

    ReplyDelete
  5. "(verging on plumber's crackosis)" . . . bwwaahhhhhhhhhh! I ain't ever heard this, you're cracking me up, woman.

    I love the concept of this pattern. Alas, as a big girl, (18) I've got sense enough to know I wouldn't look like the envelope. Love what you did with the pocket and the side zipper too. Love Gertie's stuff.

    Keep 'em coming, Ms. G.

    Cheers,

    Lyric

    ReplyDelete