Thursday, September 19, 2013

Florida: Hukilau Randomness Part 1

So, the Hukilau was pretty great.    It takes place at the amazing, beautiful and historic Mai Kai Restaurant as well as the (also historic but not as well preserved) Yankee Clipper Hotel (now the Sheraton Beachfront) in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.

We met so many nice people.  Everyone was super duper friendly.  Once the event got rolling, I kind of forgot to take pictures but here are some random shots from the weekend.

When you refuse to be "that annoying lady with the flash"
a lot of your low light shots come out like this.

A monkey and his mug.

 This is Brian. He's from DC.  He likes to drink and he likes to talk.  We loved him!
Note the shining light in his Fez.  So cool!

 This mod girl (She's there. On the left. Keep looking.) had really cute outfits all weekend.  
Wish I'd gotten a snap of her in good light!

Nani Maka was a dancer at the Mai Kai waay back in the beginning and 
she's still got the moves. Beautiful woman and a class act all around.

 Photographing mermaids in a crowded bar is harder than you think. 
They are elusive.

 The first night got rained out, but the bands and bars moved indoors and everything was fine. 
(That's the Ding Dong Devils up on the stage.)

Don't you love all the colors in a tiki crowd?  It's something I will never tire of.

 Cheeky monkey.

 Feeling camera shy.

 Selfie fail.

 Ahh.  That's better. A kind man snapped this one for us.

This was the night that I met the lovely Tara from The DC Metro Retro.  She was so nice and just so impossibly cute!  I forgot to get a picture. Agh!  Bad blogger!

3 comments:

  1. Looks like so much fun and you both look great in your tiki fabulousness! I am often embarrassed to use my flash as well and have so many photos like that :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Mai Kai is definitely on my wacky tacky adventure list!!! It looks so awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Elisa! I wish that more of the low light photos were as usable as that one. Despite trying to be polite by not using my flash, one very drunk guy got annoyed with the red light that my camera uses to focus without a flash. I ended up trying to be stealthy with the rest of my snaps which resulted in a lot of blurred photos. Le sigh.

    Mr. Tiny, you must go to the Mai Kai immediately! It is amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete