Friday, February 7, 2014

A Dress For A Wedding

We went to a wedding in North Carolina back in August.  I made a dress to wear but, in true Sewing Is Hard tradition, I neglected to take any photos of the dress at the event, except for this one.

I used Simplicity 6220.  It went together lickety-split.

I chose a thick satin brocade from the sash.
It ravels pretty badly but I serged each and every one of the seams.  

I wasn't sure about the reverse darts in front,
sometimes they can make me look a little pregnant.  

Once all was said and done, though, I fell in love with this dress.


I swear the zipper isn't crooked!  I'm just standing funny, as usual.




The best part is that, somehow, I have a ton of fabric left over.   What shall I make?  
My heart is whispering, "satin cigarette pants" but my head doesn't think we have anywhere fancy enough to wear them. Still, I think my heart is on the right track.  

SATIN CIGARETTE PANTS!  Right?

13 comments:

  1. You did a great job! The dress looks great on you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that fabric and it looks perfect on you! I say YES! Satin cigarette pants! Once you have made them I'm sure you will find a place to wear them ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm…. I could make them for the Rockabilly Rockout in October. I like the idea of wearing comfy pants to the night shows.

      Delete
  3. Yes to pants! You don't need to go anywhere fancy; you can just be fancy anywhere you go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone! Soooo...if I make satin pants, they will have to be flat lined. I'm afraid that otherwise the seams will tear out. This fabric just wants to pull and ravel and I'm not sure it could take the pressure in the um, seat, area. Does anyone have any lining suggestions?

    I'm looking for pants lining tips in general but I also need help with choosing a lining fabric. A woven, obvs, but I want to avoid the usual cheapedy-cheap poly satin lining that I typically use for dresses because I'm afraid it will be too hot. I also don't want to spend a lot of dough, so real silk lining is likely off the table.

    All suggestions appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mind is blown, I've had this pattern sitting out on my sewing desk for the last two weeks. I've been torn between making it in a bold print or a solid. Seeing how lovely yours turned out, I may have to do it in both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is a great pattern. I that it would be difficult but it went together so easily! You should totally make both! :)

      Delete
  6. This is such a great dress! I've got a wedding to go to later this year and you've inspired me to make something similar.

    Also, yes to cigarette pants!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I disco-wedding-danced in it all night long and it held up really well! :)

      Delete
  7. This dress is so pretty and perfect on you! I looooooooove the fabric! The colours are great with just the right amount of sparkle. Pretty much the best dress to wear to a wedding!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mel! This fabric languished in the stash for a long time before I was brave enough to cut into it. I'm so glad I did!

      Delete