Thursday, February 27, 2014

Stashbusting: Silk and Maribou


Less than one yard of black silk dupioni...how 'bout a 60s cocktail top?

I still liked the look of Simplicity 4513 but it would have to be a little lot longer this time and I didn't really want to make the same thing again.  After digging around in the pattern stash for a while, I finally settled on Simplicity 1201 view 1.  


I shortened it to waist length and left out all of the darts.  It ended up nice and boxy and very 60s.
I really like the flat neckline and shoulder button detail.


Maribou is gorgeous but extremely fiddly to sew on.  
The feathers like to follow the thread through the needle holes and create these tight, sad, clumpy knots. Eventually, though, I got the hang of it. The trick seemed to be to make large loops with the thread and then gently pull the loops down over the feathers.

I really like the way it came out.

Black is extremely hard to photograph and the light in my house is just atrocious.
But I think these photos are fun anyway.

The blouse looks great with my Simplicity 4401 trousers.

It's a very Laura Petrie ensemble, donchathink?

4 comments:

  1. Very pretty! the detail of the feathers makes to look it nicer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lizzy! I want to put feathers on everything now. <3

      Delete
  2. Yes. very Laura Petrie. This is a killer outfit!

    ReplyDelete