Friday, March 21, 2014

Stashbusting: Artistic Dressing

I have to admit that when I finished this dress, I wasn't sure about it.
I cut a lot of corners (no lining, rolled hem) and was a bit ashamed that it wasn't my best work.


I wore it once and wasn't convinced.  After leaving it in a pile on the sewing room floor for weeks, I sent it off to the dry cleaners.  When it came back I tried it on again and fell in love. 


The fabric came from the thrift store for $5 for about 4 yards.  The selvage says that it was made by Cranston Print Works, a US company that was in business from 1807-2009.


I love the strange artistic Picasso/Chagall faces.  It was difficult to make sure that
a face did not end up on a breast apex.  I did okay.  Could have been much worse!


I used Simplicity 4360 View 2.


 It really is simple to make.  It came together easily with no alterations.


Why is it that late 50s/early 60s patterns almost always fit me perfectly with no fuss?  
I wish I had that kind of luck with modern patterns.


How does one accessorize a dress that's primary color is greige?


I went with a little tarnished plastic, a little bakelite and some pinky beige faux pearls.


Also, these carved Mexican screw back earrings.  I love their little grouchy faces.

10 comments:

  1. Very cool ! Love the fabric and good job with face placement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! There were just SO many faces to work around. :)

      Delete
  2. I love this dress. The print is fabulous. Good job on the fit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angela. I'm always so happy when I see your comments. <3

      Delete
  3. I seriously like it!!! From the cut to the relaxing, sophisticated colour palette of the design, I truly think this is a terrific dress. Great job on it, dear gal!

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  4. Honey, I don't know what you were talking about . . . this dress is gorgeous, groovy on you. Checking out that pattern, bluuuccckk, BUT ON YOU, mmmmmmm good. I wouldn't have given that pattern a second look if it weren't for this post here.

    Girl, keep 'em coming. You are my vintage sewing muse.

    Cheers,

    Lyric

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! In my opinion they put the best view on that pattern envelope way in the back, and they made it so small! It's as if the publishers were like, "Oh hey, you should buy this for the hip new Jackie Kennedy look...but if you can't handle it we've got an old fashioned full skirted version too."

      Delete
  5. Oh, meant to ask . . . are you wearing a petticoat? The underpinnings seem to be making this extra special or is it just that much fabric in the skirt piece?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! The skirt has a LOT of fabric in it but I always wear a petticoats under a full skirt. I think full skirts look so droopy and sad without them and a petticoat (or two) always makes my waist look much smaller than it is.

      Delete