Sunday, May 18, 2014

Pedal Pushers for Summer

So I tried, y'all, but I just never really fell in love with my Gertie pedal pushers.  I liked the flipped cuffs and they were comfy and all but eventually I had to give in and admit that they just didn't fit right.  I don't blame Gertie.  I blame my lack of skill and the fact that modern patterns HATE me.

So the Gerties went to the thrift store and I made these up instead. 
 McCalls 8820 from 1952.

I REALLY LIKE THEM!  Like, a lot.

 They fit!  The waistband is at my waist and everything!

 Yeah, I'm feeling pretty good about these guys.  The pix don't do them justice, thanks to the unbelievably crap lighting in my house.  EVERY light in the room is on and I have one of those fancy photographer lights too and it's STILL TOO DARK.  Sigh.  Stupid light absorbing black denim...

I was totally afraid of the pockets at first but they were SO easy!
 
I lined the pockets with some leftover cherry gingham.  
The gingham peeks out around the pocket edges and, I think, adds extra cuteness.

 They are supposed to have side vents but the denim I used would not behave.
The fabric is stretchy enough that I don't really need the vents.
 I closed the seam and sewed on buttons anyway for extra flavor.

The band is supposed to close with a button but I prefer pants hooks.
I sewed a decorative button on the waistband anyway.  50s cuteness with modern convenience.  Yay!

 These pedal pushers make me unreasonably happy! I'll be wearing them a lot this summer.

8 comments:

  1. Those turned out fabulous and they look perfect on you! I feel your pain when it comes to crap lighting. Our place is so dark it's damn near impossible to get a good interior shot. So frustrating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elisa! Isn't terrible lighting the worst? Inside our house is too dark, but outside on the patio it's crazy windy ALL the time. Sigh.

      Delete
  2. They look great, I can see why you love them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are adorable! I love the fabric inside the pockets! Did you already have the pattern or did you find it somewhere online? I've really never sewn using an authentically old pattern. Are the sizes pretty much the same? I find current patterns seem to run small. Just curious.
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Angela! Thanks for your comment & questions. I sew almost exclusively with old patterns. I find them online or at thrift stores/flea markets. For me, the sizing in vintage patterns is pretty accurate based on the measurements on the back of the envelope. Plus I like that the designs (particularly 50s & early 60s) are created to be flattering on women who naturally (or with foundations) have a lot of curves. I'm a short plump hourglass and they work well for me.

      I don't have the same luck with modern patterns from The Big 3. If I sew my size based on the measurements on the back of the envelope, I usually end up with 2-3 (or more!) inches of extra ease. This seems to be true of vintage patterns re-issued by The Big 3 as well.

      Unfortunately, vintage pattern prices have gone through the attic and the roof and are now heading for the stratosphere. 40s-60s styles aren't as easily and cheaply available as they once were. I'm glad I have a stash!

      Delete
  4. Awww, the pockets are too cute. ;-)

    Cheers,

    Lyric
    http://www.sewcroandquilt.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gabriella they turned out absolutely perfect for you. I know what you mean about having to change little details about the pattern because of how the fabric gets fussy or fit. I find myself in the same boat at times. It looks like you have another pattern that's great for summer, they would be nice in several different fabrics and colors ; )

    ReplyDelete