Friday, August 29, 2014

Wedgewood Swallow

My mom recently gave me a box of fabric she'd purchased long ago including fabrics from the 60s through the 80s.  I've been doing my best to sew it all up which has resulted in a dearth of posts.  

So busy SEWING!

This is one of the prints she gave me from, I think, the 70s or maybe the 80s.

It is based on a Wedgewood china pattern called "Swalllow."
 

To make the bodice, I used Simplicity 4347 from the early 1960s.

The skirt is a simple 4 yard dirndl.

I liked the idea of having the stripes both horizontal and vertical.  
Unfortunately, I was so focused on getting the layout right that some mistakes were made.

I neglected to shorten the bodice length and so it hits just below my natural waist.

The longer bodice means the skirt is an inch or so longer than I typically prefer.

 I made cute little bow accents for the front and the back neckline, but they blend right in!  Oh well!

It's still a pretty great dress.

These transitional 50s to 60s patterns are always my favorites.

12 comments:

  1. I know it was a mistake, but it looks really elegant with the long waist and longer skirt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It looks better in the photos than in real life. :)

      Delete
  2. I like the pattern and the material but by pairing them you've elevated them both to greatness!!! I agree with Tracey's statements - very elegant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you! "Elegant" isn't a compliment that I'm used to receiving and it feels awfully nice. <3

      Delete
  3. This is a great dress and as people have said above it looks very elegant! I love the accessories you're wearing too x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Multi-strand necklaces (and brown bakelite) are my weakness.

      Delete
  4. OH MY GOODNESS! i don't think i've ever commented before, i found you through bloglovin, sorry to start off yelling, but OH MY GOODNESS. what a beautiful dress, i must agree with everyone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Feel free to yell in my comments any old time!

      Delete
  5. Hard to go wrong with Schumacher, but you have taken it to a higher level. I love the dress, and I especially love it on you. Elegant, sexy and unusual.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't aware of Schumacher fabrics as a brand but I just popped over the the internet and had a look around. Wow! That's some pretty stuff. Thank you for pointing that out. I feel all fancy now. :)

      Delete
  6. I am new the your blog. I enjoy seeing your pictures and your " joie de vivre". I am into sewing not Vintage inspire, yet. That's maybe changing soon.
    Thanks for sharing
    Josie Huber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Josie! Sewing from vintage (or vintage inspired) patterns is so much fun. I hope you try it. I'm sure you will enjoy it.

      Delete