My mom recently gave me a box of fabric she'd purchased long ago including fabrics from the 60s through the 80s. I've been doing my best to sew it all up which has resulted in a dearth of posts.
So busy SEWING!
This is one of the prints she gave me from, I think, the 70s or maybe the 80s.
It is based on a Wedgewood china pattern called "Swalllow."
To make the bodice, I used Simplicity 4347 from the early 1960s.
The skirt is a simple 4 yard dirndl.
I liked the idea of having the stripes both horizontal and vertical.
Unfortunately, I was so focused on getting the layout right that some mistakes were made.
I neglected to shorten the bodice length and so it hits just below my natural waist.
The longer bodice means the skirt is an inch or so longer than I typically prefer.
I made cute little bow accents for the front and the back neckline, but they blend right in! Oh well!
It's still a pretty great dress.
These transitional 50s to 60s patterns are always my favorites.