Sunday, May 24, 2015

Well hey!

So last summer I made a bunch of stuff and then never posted it.  
The fact that the light in my house is awful and I'm too shy to take photos outside where people can see me pretty much put a stop to my blogging.

Making without showing is starting to feel kind of pointless so here goes...

Last summer I made a pair of trousers using this pattern and some vintage Pucci print denim.

I attempted the version with the petal cuffs but failed miserably.  


I shortened the legs properly this time (instead of just hacking them off at the right length) but I didn't take into account the width of my calves.  When they were finished I couldn't get my legs in.  Sigh.  
So I hacked them off just below the knee.

Trousers of this type always seem to have too much room in the thigh and a little bit of sag in the butt.  I think my failed alterations made these a bit worse than usual.


I'm trying different things to to make myself happier about blog photos.
I got photography lights for christmas last year and have recently invested in a remote and tripod attachment for my phone and iPad.

The extra lights don't make any difference.  It's still weirdly light but shadowy in here. 
The remote and the iPad are a easy-to-use combo but I haven't figured out how to hide the remote. 

I was hoping the snaps would be better.  The iPad photos are just as blurry as the ones taken with my with my camera.  I'm beginning to think that I am simply a blurry person. 

It definitely has something to do with light and distance.  
I'm a lot less blurry if I'm close to the iPad and the natural light source.


I have a ton more stuff to post.  Hopefully soon.

12 comments:

  1. Glad to see you're posting again! Those 50s trouser patterns do seem to have a lot of excess fabric in the thighs - so annoying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sara! It is SO annoying! I look at photos of women wearing trousers in that era and they look fine: slim and normal. But every pattern I've used has big droopy thighs. Sometimes I cheat and don't pre-wash my fabric so that I can shrink them to fit. That usually works but I wish I was better at grading/alterations.

      Delete
  2. Welcome back' Gabriella. You have been missed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cation Designs has a pants fitting post full o photos that is pretty dang fine for such issues. http://cationdesigns.blogspot.com/2013/09/pants-pattern-alterations.html Focus could be a clean lens issue, it's not far off. Frankly, I like your 'finger snap' pose. "What, me?" But mostly: PUCCI DENIM OHMYGOD!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the link SJ! Ugh, pants are the worst. Isn't that denim amazing? I couldn't believe it when I pulled it out of my mother's storage unit. There is still a little bit left and I hope to use it for a slightly more successful project.

      Delete
  4. I have had the same issue with my pants from the same era :( I would have missed those cute petal fronts on the pattern front--wonder why they didn't highlight them more, it's a cute feature. Sorry they didn't work out for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Allie! I'm going to try the petal fronts again once I figure out how to shorten the legs without tapering too much.

      Delete
  5. Great to see you back! Those trousers rock! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cool to see you back! Love the trousers and the fabric is great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hurray, go glad you're back! Keep posting, you have been missed as you can see. That fabric is too fabulous. Taking pics outside is a bit of a difficult thing. Everyone staring etc. But I like to think I am cheering people up by giving them something to look at that's different to their normal mundane view. I also think it makes for better pictures so they will have to put up and shut up. Can't wait to see more fab sewing.

    ReplyDelete