Friday, June 12, 2015

Matchy Matchy Part I

As I think I've mentioned before, my husband also sews.  Each year before Tiki Oasis he makes a few cabana sets. For last year's Tiki O he made sets with Robert Kaufman's This And That.  He used Rotary Phones in black and white and Retro Cameras in black, red and gray.  (I'll show you the camera set in the next post.)


His favorite shirt pattern is Kwik Sew 575.  It goes together fast and the collar is fairly uncomplicated.  He prefers the trunks from Simplicity 7146.  They have a drawstring instead of a belt and the legs are a bit roomier than the Kwik Sew.


With the leftover scraps, I made myself a matching bikini.  I used Advance 3169 for the bikini bottom. The top is the reissue of Simplicity 1426 view C, with the criss-cross straps from view B. Zippers, buttons, lining, and contrast fabric are all from the stash.


The top was really easy to put together but I found it to be very slouchy and unsupportive after the first wear.  Unpicking the bottom band and adding heavy weight interfacing inside the band and inserting stiff swim bra cups helped considerably.  It's much more perky now.  With these corrections I could almost wear it without the straps despite my C+ cup size.


We took these photos while on holiday in South Carolina. Look at all that sunshine!


I can barely keep my eyes open!


What a wonderful thing to be WARM in the summertime!  It's pure bliss.

9 comments:

  1. I love that you made matching outfits! They look great. I have Simplicity 1426 but have yet to make anything from it, after reading your review I'll make sure that I add some interfacing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sara! Initially the bottom band was crushed by the weight above it. The extra stiff interfacing in the band helped a lot.

      Delete
  2. A couple that sews together, how brilliant. Sewing is just engineering with cloth, men should be all over it. I am mid-way through a four piece holiday set, the last part of it is the bra top, which I will need to add some heavy duty support to, nice to see how much difference the swim cups make.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Engineering with cloth is right! That's exactly how my husband sees it.

      Delete
  3. Ok, I need some help with finding swim bra cups. I am looking but it's confusing, a lot of them are to do with size rather than support....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't find the box but I think these http://www.amazon.com/Dritz-Molded-Foam-Bra-Cups/dp/B0009PRX2E are the ones I used. They aren't specifically for support but they do seem to help a lot. Maybe, because they are stiff and the breast is restricted to a specific space, they change the way the weight is distributed?

      Delete
    2. Ah, that looks great and it's a brand that's probably available over here too.

      Delete
  4. You two look fabulous! I LOVE that bikini and that So Carolina house makes me want to move there.

    ReplyDelete