Friday, June 19, 2015

Matchy Matchy Part II

This is the second of the matched sets we made.  


His is a Kwik Sew 575 shirt and Simplicity 7146 trunks.


The fabric is Robert Kaufman Retro Cameras.


Despite starting with the same yardage, there was a lot less fabric left over for my suit.


I used Sew Lovely B70 for the top.  
It is a bra pattern so the pieces are much smaller than the Simplicity 1426 beach tops.


I like that it provides more coverage and support than a standard triangle bikini top but it's great for using up tiny scraps of fabric. It stays put perfectly when you move around.


Rather than standard sewn-in over-the-shoulder straps I made button-on criss-cross straps.  The buttons, zipper, linings, and seam binding all came from the stash.


The back band is shirred with elastic in the center.  
It is stitched down on one side and clips in with pants hooks on the other.


The Advance 3169 bikini bottoms are fully lined and I did that semi-complicated thing where you sandwich the zipper between the layers.  I'm so proud.


By the time you read this we'll be off the beach and back in Fogville, shivering in the perpetual fall.

7 comments:

  1. THOSE ARE THE BEEEEEEES. KNEEEEEEES! I love those! Matchy-matchy is what it is all about! I am going to go write down your pattern numbers right NOW (the bra top is a new one to me) and start looking for some great fabric like that. So cool, thank you for sharing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome La Vonda. Thanks for the lovely comment. I can't say enough nice things about Sew Lovely B70. You will have to make up your own closures and straps, and the cups are a bit pointy, but it's incredibly easy to make.

      Delete
  2. Ya'll are so adorable, and I love the matching outfits! That last picture of you is just perfect. Classic pinup!

    Naomi
    teenyboppinalong.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Naomi! My in-laws were vacationing with us and offered to take the photos. Nerve wracking!!

      Delete
  3. So adorable!!! How well did that pattern + material hold up to the water? I have a stash of fabric that would make amazing vintage swimsuits but patterns I have generally dont hold up well when cottons are used versus spandex etc?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jackal! I lounge in my cotton suits but swim in spandex. I find that the cotton gets a little baggy-saggy when wet. Also, you run the risk of white sections going see-through or trims bleeding. My husband swims in his, but we've found that, while salt water is fine, chlorine pools are a major no-no. The chlorine will bleach the print and ruin the colors in cotton suits.

      Delete
    2. Hi Jackal! I lounge in my cotton suits but swim in spandex. I find that the cotton gets a little baggy-saggy when wet. Also, you run the risk of white sections going see-through or trims bleeding. My husband swims in his, but we've found that, while salt water is fine, chlorine pools are a major no-no. The chlorine will bleach the print and ruin the colors in cotton suits.

      Delete