Saturday, January 2, 2016

X-Mas Dress

Hello Campers!  I hope you had a nice holiday and that the new year is off to a good start.  I made a dress to wear to this year's Christmas Dinner at my husband's club.  Advance 9077 has been in the stash for ages and it was fun to finally make it up. 
I bought the dotty fabric to make up this dress about six years ago, but the gathered bodice kind of freaked me out so it never got made.  The print on the fabric reminds me of ball ornaments; perfect for a Christmas Dress.
Spaghetti straps aren't quite appropriate for December, even in California, but view 1 of Simplicity 5413 makes a nice overblouse.  It's really too short for anything else!  It looks waist-length in the pattern illustration but it's much shorter than that.
The dress bodice wasn't as hard as I thought it would be.  It's actually gathered onto the front piece so it was fast and simple.  I didn't pre-measure the pattern pieces though, and once the dress was complete, I was disappointed to discover that  the bodice bagged and sagged over my chest. Rather than take  the whole thing apart (nope!),  I did a quick bodge by making a deep gather in the center front and sewing a cute little bow over the top of it.
It's really hard to see the bodge in color so I took these snaps in B/W.
Even in black and white, it's hardly noticeable at all.
I was so focused on getting the bodice right that I messed up the skirt.  Most of the gathers ended up on one side and the seams are mismatched.  Of course, I didn't realize it until I'd put the zipper in.  Thankfully, despite being a pretty awful mistake, it's not noticeable either unless you look really closely.
I'm glad that gathers are so forgiving!  If not this would have been a complete disaster.  But it looks pretty good, I think.
Here's how it looks with the overblouse.  Cute!
      
Here are a couple of back views.  Please forgive the awkward poses.
   
Happy New year!  May all your sewing projects be successful in 2016!

10 comments:

  1. LOVE it! Good save with the gathers -can't tell its been adjusted at all. The overblouse is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I have that overblouse pattern, but never thought of pairing it with a spaghetti strapped dress! So clever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Allie! I have a vague memory of seeing something similar in either a movie or catalog from the era. Real or not, that's what inspired me. At any rate, it seems like a good way to get more use out of a sundress. :)

      Delete
  3. Happy New Year! The dress is very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The overblouse idea is brilliant and looks amazing! I think we've all had things go wrong with projects that, while very noticeable to us, are never noticed by other people. Your dress looks fabulous on you, and I hope you enjoyed wearing it to the party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Abbey! I appreciate the support. This dress almost went in the donate pile because I was so bummed about the skirt. I had a great time wearing it to the party and I don't think anyone noticed my major mistake!

      Delete
  5. I love how this turned out! So cool!

    ReplyDelete